USB To Serial and USB To Ethernet

dmschw...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2007, 11:37:26 AM2/11/07
Friends,
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 600M with CentOS4.4. I am learning Cisco
with some switches and routers at home. I have 1 serial port, but also
had my usb-to-serial adapters, and 1 usb-to-ethernet adapter had been
working quite nicely as well in Windows. Within the last week, I have
been able to install Windows to dual boot with Linux. I would rather
simply run Linux and not dual boot with Windows. While it's true
that I could merely use the regular Com1 serial cable and move it to
my various devices, I would rather be able to execute my plan so that
all my serial (Cisco rollover cables) can function concurrently. That
is my key goal.

The VMWare is the latest version 5.5 with XP Pro SP2 in the virtual
machine. In the top bar of the VMWare 5.5 window, it notes the
presence of ethernet and the usb adapters, so it's good that it knows
those are there. It would be optimal to ensure that my 2 normal
ethernet adapters 1 usb-to-ethernet adapter, and 3 usb-to-serial
adapters are functional in the virtual machine. In Device manager, I
don't recall the ports being there for the various serial devices, but
it would be helpful. Also, loading the usb-to-serial driver cd
shouldn't be a problem. While it's true that I could merely use the
regular Com1 serial cable and move it to my various devices, I would
rather be able to execute my plan so that all my serial (Cisco
rollover cables) can function concurrently.

It seems that configuring eth1, eth0, etc for various virtual machines
is easy, but the issue comes down to suffering through using 1 Com
port, or if the Windows virtual machine can even use the usb-to-serial
and usb-to-ethernet adapters.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
David M. Schwartz