VMware Windows client clock runs fast

Allen Kistler

Oct 13, 2007, 2:24:08 PM10/13/07
I'm running WinXP on a RHEL5 host.
I just upgraded to Workstation 6 from Workstation 5.
In Workstation 5, everything was good.
In Workstation 6, the client clock gains about 1 minute every 5 minutes.

The host does not use cpuspeed or any other cpu throttling.
In fact, the processor isn't even capable of it.

I turned off Time Sync, since that only keeps the client from losing
ticks (and made the problem worse). Here the problem is that it seems
to be inventing extra ones. I'm now using ntp to keep the client in
sync with a local ntp server, but that seems lame.

All the other posts I've seen close to this topic appear to deal only
with problems with x86_64 processors. My processor is a 32-bit Xeon.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Bonsai Bonanza

Oct 14, 2007, 7:44:11 PM10/14/07

Allen Kistler

Oct 19, 2007, 3:15:55 PM10/19/07

Unfortunately that post is for a Linux guest.
I have a Red Hat host with a Windows guest.

Bonsai Bonanza

Oct 19, 2007, 3:25:36 PM10/19/07

How about this... half way down is some params to try:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/7730#7730

Allen Kistler

Oct 19, 2007, 11:18:52 PM10/19/07
Bonsai Bonanza wrote:
> Allen Kistler wrote:
>> Bonsai Bonanza wrote:
>>> how about this:
>>> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1420
>>
>> Unfortunately that post is for a Linux guest.
>> I have a Red Hat host with a Windows guest.
>
> How about this... half way down is some params to try:
>
> http://communities.vmware.com/message/7730#7730

The reference is a little off, but the hint was good. Once I had more
specific keywords, I found other articles discussing those parameters.

Putting
host.noTSC = "TRUE"
in /etc/vmware/config appears to have done the trick.