DON'T run VMWare on Fat32 under Linux!

timeOday

Nov 5, 2005, 4:32:00 PM11/5/05
I had been ready to give up on VMWare due to terrible performance.
VMWare seemed to run in kernel model all the time, making the system
horribly nonresponsive (both client and guest).

Then I started getting disk errors. Finally I figured out the disk
errors - I was hitting a 2GB limit of Fat32 under Linx 2.6.7. (I was
using a Fat32 FS because it's visible whether I boot to XP or Linux).
So I moved my VMWare virtual disk file to an ext2 partition.

What a difference in VMWare performance!!! After moving the virtual
disk to the ext2 filesystem, my computer is responsive and usable again.

VMWare already issues a warning if the virtual disk is on a network
filesystem. I suggest a similar warning for running from Fat32, because
the performance is absolutely terrible.