Adobe PS driver fails on Win XP guest

Dave Hayes

Jul 14, 2005, 4:14:42 AM7/14/05
Hi Gang

Since installing Windows XP as a guest operating system in VMware running on
Linux, I haven't been able to use the official Adobe PostScript Distiller
printer driver on Windows XP. The driver can't make a PostScript file, much
less feed the file on to Distiller. When I try to print to PostScript file
or PDF, the driver gives me a pop-up with messages like "The parameter is
incorrect" (!!) or "Cannot write to specified print file".

This happens in Windows XP running under either VMware 4 and 5.

The driver works on Windows 2000 under VMware 4 or 5, and on native Windows
XP.

I have tried reinstalling the driver, changing printer configuration
settings and file permissions, specifying different locations for the
generated file, and everything I could think of, all to no avail. The
problem is so stubborn that I have had to revert to Windows 2000, as making
PDF files is critical to my workflow.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Dave Hayes