Workstation 6.5.2 on RHEL 5.3 errors

Allen Kistler

May 21, 2009, 6:47:16 PM5/21/09
I tried "upgrading" from 6.0.5 to 6.5.2 today.

Starting VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor [ OK ]
Virtual machine communication interface [ OK ]
Blocking file system [ OK ]
Virtual ethernet [FAILED]

No help in the release notes.
No help in the manual.
No help in the kb.

I searched the web and found some references online that suggest
deleting and rebuilding the kernel modules with "vmware-modconfig
--console --install-all" would fix things. Apparently that's the new
version of vmware-config.pl.

The only thing that happened is an endless loop of
Stopping/Compiling/Starting/Error. (See setup.log for details.)
Stopping/Compiling/Starting/Error. (See setup.log for details.)
Stopping/Compiling/Starting/Error. (See setup.log for details.)
etc.

Canceling out of that loop after a few times through it, I read the
suggested setup.log. It's filled with
Extracting/Registering/Building/Loads-Perfectly messages. There's
nothing even slightly resembling an error or warning.

The only hint appears to be in /var/log/messages.
vmnet-detect[19776]: NetDetectDaemonInit: No host policy file found. Not
initializing filter.
vmnet-detect[19776]: Unable to initialize the daemon

Any ideas? Maybe a clue on what a host policy file is?

Thanks for any help.