Moving to a box

kai.h...@gmail.com

May 25, 2005, 8:44:13 PM5/25/05
I tried searching for an answer the question. Perhaps I was using the
wrong keywords.

I am pretty happy with a configuration I have under VMWare and I would
like to move it to a real machine.

How do I do that?

mikeyman

Jun 1, 2005, 8:20:12 PM6/1/05
V to P is tricky. You have to make sure the hardware you want to
install it on has loadable modules. You may also have to build an
initrd specific to the real hardware. You can try ghost or similar
tool. May be easier to install fresh copy of Sarge on the physical
server and copy your configs from /etc. My $.02

permarker...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2005, 10:02:20 AM6/2/05

I would just boot knoppix on the real machine, start sshd, and then
rsync -a the filesystem from the virtual machine to the real machine.
Just remember to take into account /proc and other virtual filesystems.

>From Knoppix you can fix /etc/fstab, GRUB and other tings.

Reboot, and your done.

Per Marker Mortensen