NIC Card and Gateway 2000 P5-133

1 view

Steve Meggs INF

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

Installing a DEC DE201 NIC in a Gateway 2000 P5-133 PC locks the PC after the
DEC prom message is displayed. In fact I can not get into set-up without first
removing the NIC, I have removed the sound card from the machine but still no
joy. The PC CMOS is plug and play, I have changed the setting to "use set-up
utility" and reserved the correct memory and IRQ, but still no joy. Any
suggestions or experiences would be appreciated, I am at present getting very
little assistance from Gateway even though we are placing an order for 100
machines if this configuration works.
Our standard PC all remote boot from the Pathworks server and download DOS and
Windows to a preformatted PC, files and directories are then checked for in
future boots, and only copied if missing.

Steve Meggs
AGIP (UK) Ltd

Steve...@AGIP.IT

Cees Anbeek

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

>Steve...@AGIP.IT

Hello Steve,

I found the following information on compuserve and might help you,
with your problem

The problems are that on these PCs, the BIOS defaults to Shadowing the

Upper Memory Blocks, in particular C0000 and D0000. To enable our
DEPCA network cards to be able to put their ROM info into the UMB, you
must 1st create a "hole" in the UMB which is not shadowed. You can
only create 1 such "hole"- in 16, 32, or 64K sizes. On one of the
P5-60s, I had to put the DEPCA card in 32K mode at D8000, and
unshadow a 64K "hole" starting at D0000. The following are the steps
to use to enable this setup:
-During Boot, hit F1 to enter CMOS SETUP 2-Select "ADVANCED CMOS
SETUP" (return twice) 3-Select "DISABLE SHADOW MEMORY BASE" - Set
address to D0000h' 4-Select "DISABLE SHADOW MEMORY SIZE" - Set to
'64K' (or to amount needed) 5-ESC once to return to previous screen
6-Select "WRITE TO CMOS AND EXIT"

Hope this helps,

Cees Anbeek

Russell Wickstrom

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Steve Meggs INF <steve...@MAILBUS.HALLEY.X400.AGIP.IT> wrote in article <4506581225101996/A19515/LDNSRV/11AACB3A0500*@MHS>...

> Installing a DEC DE201 NIC in a Gateway 2000 P5-133 PC locks the PC after the
> DEC prom message is displayed. In fact I can not get into set-up without first
> removing the NIC, I have removed the sound card from the machine but still no
> joy.  The PC CMOS is plug and play, I have changed the setting to "use set-up
> utility" and reserved the correct memory and IRQ, but still no joy. Any
> suggestions or experiences would be appreciated, I am at present getting very
> little assistance from Gateway even though we are placing an order for 100
> machines if this configuration works.
> Our standard PC all remote boot from the Pathworks server and download DOS and
> Windows to a preformatted PC, files and directories are then checked for in
> future boots, and only copied if missing.
>
> Steve Meggs
> AGIP (UK) Ltd

Steve...@AGIP.IT

Steve:

Whenever I have attempted to use a DEC NIC in a Gateway 2000 machine I have
found it just too frustrating!

Gateway support says that the DEC card is NOT recommended.  A 3Com 50X card seems to work right out of the box.  G2000's hardware seems a bit less tolerant of "foreign" cards.  If the NIC isn't on their (rather short) recommended list, you may have trouble getting their support staff to help you on other matters.

Hope this helps,

Russ Wickstrom
PC Support
Billy Graham Evangelistic Assoc
Minneapolis, MN

rwick...@graham-assn.org

(Views expressed in this message are my own and should
not be attributed to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Assoc.)

Kate Wilson

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Russell Wickstrom wrote:

> Whenever I have attempted to use a DEC NIC in a Gateway 2000 machine I
> have found it just too frustrating!
>
> Gateway support says that the DEC card is NOT recommended. A 3Com 50X
> card seems to work right out of the box. G2000's hardware seems a bit
> less tolerant of "foreign" cards. If the NIC isn't on their (rather
> short) recommended list, you may have trouble getting their support
> staff to help you on other matters.

We have about 15 Gateway Pentiums with DE100 cards. Setting them up was
a problem at first - I kept getting a "device resource conflict" error
at the beginning of bootup... after several hours on the phone with
Gateway tech support, we discovered that setting the card address
physically at D000 and telling Win95 that it was at D800 solved the
problem. We've had no problems with them since then.

kate wilson
u.t. health science center, houston

Steve Meggs INF

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

sending this again as it appeared to fail the first time.

Hi Lannie

The Cache is controlled by a SYSGEN parameter

see extract from sysgen "help param"

Parameters

VBN_CACHE_S

On VAX systems, VBN_CACHE_S enables virtual I/O cache
functionality. Virtual I/O cache is a dynamic, VBN file data
cache which when enabled can provide performance improvement by
reducing the amount of physical read IO needed to be done by the system.
Virtual I/O cache supports both standalone and clustered environments,
however in a VMScluster, virtual I/O cache must be enabled on all node(s)
for data caching to occur. Change the value of the VBN_CACHE_S parameter
in MODPARAMS.DAT as follows:

VBN_CACHE_S = 1 to enable caching
VBN_CACHE_S = 0 to disable caching

Regards