QEMM386 instead of HIMEM.SYS, + EMM38

Jim Becker

Feb 17, 1993, 2:53:00 PM2/17/93
================== Original message text ===================

<lots o' stuff deleted>

Also note that the QEMM stealth mode won't run with EMSLOAD,
because EMSLOAD tries to direct DMA into the EMS, and this
confuses intel/qemm memory managment.

...BRU

==================== Added message text ====================

Is this an immediate reaction?..like an Exception ## or other
message as soon as EMSLOAD is used?

I've experimented with STealth:Frame and had to use the DBF=xx
(DiskBufFrame) parameter on the QEMM device line to fix a problem
I had with EMSLOAD. It seems to allow it to work through
STARTNET, however, since my PC would eventually hang in this mode
(Stealth), I'm not sure if it was a latent manifestation of the
EMSLOAD problem or something else.

Check the documentation (6.02) for help with this parameter. Or,
try adding DBF=4 to the QEMM line and see if that helps. BE
ADVISED, the xx is in K and comes out of conventional memory.

Jim Becker | __ LAN WP /___\ VMS WP /___\ WP/VMS Mail
State Univ. of NY | |ME| Office \ / Office \ / Gateway
TEL: (518) 443-5548 | ~~ /\
FAX: (518) 443-5799 | ___ /~\__/~\ \/
E-MAIL: | |YOU| |Internet| /__\ Joiner /__\ Innosoft
BECKERJA@SNYCENVA | ~~~ \_/~~\_/ \ / JNET \ / PMDF

Kathleen Applegate

Feb 18, 1993, 9:18:00 AM2/18/93
Jim Becker <BECKERJA%WPO1P%WP...@SNYCENVA.BITNET> writes:

>>Also note that the QEMM stealth mode won't run with EMSLOAD,
>>because EMSLOAD tries to direct DMA into the EMS, and this
>>confuses intel/qemm memory managment.
>

>Is this an immediate reaction?..like an Exception ## or other
>message as soon as EMSLOAD is used?
>
>I've experimented with STealth:Frame and had to use the DBF=xx
>(DiskBufFrame) parameter on the QEMM device line to fix a problem
>I had with EMSLOAD. It seems to allow it to work through
>STARTNET, however, since my PC would eventually hang in this mode
>(Stealth), I'm not sure if it was a latent manifestation of the
>EMSLOAD problem or something else.
>
>Check the documentation (6.02) for help with this parameter. Or,
>try adding DBF=4 to the QEMM line and see if that helps. BE
>ADVISED, the xx is in K and comes out of conventional memory.

The approach that works for us is to use the Stealth feature,
but not in combination with EMSLOAD. Let QEMM do your memory
management for you from start to finish. In NETSETUP, lie and
say you have neither EMS nor XMS. Run Optimize, but if you are
using the NDIS driver, there are some non-standard procedures
you have to do in order to make it work with Pathworks--none of
which is documented in the manual. (No, I won't try to
regurgitate here what the tech notes will detail very nicely.)

Without two of Quarterdeck's technical notes--specifically #220
and #227--you will waste a lot of time. Those two tech notes are,
respectively, "Pathworks and QEMM-386/DESQview" and
"Using Optimize with PROTMAN.DOS". Also of help is #205,
"Trouble-shooting Stealth". Quarterdeck (310-392-9701) will be
happy to FAX them to you, or you can download them from their
BBS (310-314-3227). They will also respond (though it may take
a couple days) to requests made through Internet mail:
sup...@qdeck.com.

The line we use to load QEMM with our DE-200 nics is:

device=c:\qemm\qemm386.sys ram x=b000-b7ff x=d000-dfff
st:m xst=dc00

Of course, this is all on a single line in the CONFIG.SYS.
Also, it can make a difference in how Optimize operates if you
have stuff loaded into upper memory blocks (UMB's). Before
running Optimize, boot with only the essentials being loaded--
then restore the configuration files that you want Optimize to
work with.

--
Kathleen Applegate, Sr. Analyst ap...@drvax3.msfc.nasa.gov
Marshall Space Flight Center Voice: (205) 544-7656

Henning Stams

Feb 18, 1993, 12:14:46 PM2/18/93
In article <apple.730045080@drvax3> ap...@drvax3.msfc.nasa.gov (Kathleen Applegate) writes:

>The approach that works for us is to use the Stealth feature,
>but not in combination with EMSLOAD. Let QEMM do your memory
>management for you from start to finish. In NETSETUP, lie and
>say you have neither EMS nor XMS. Run Optimize, but if you are

We use it that way too...

>The line we use to load QEMM with our DE-200 nics is:
>
> device=c:\qemm\qemm386.sys ram x=b000-b7ff x=d000-dfff
> st:m xst=dc00

DON'T forget to exclude interrupts 08 and 1C from stealthing!
(At least when remote-booting) Done with XSTI=08 XSTI=1C

Henning (hst...@biolan.Uni-Koeln.DE)