Unable to extract backup.tlz

Haennes

Mar 2, 2010, 5:05:14 AM3/2/10
to vmsbackup
Hi there,

i'm really ashamed about my question how to extract files which were
created with the vmware-backupscript v1.0(and compress program=lzop).
Indeed i've gone through the man pages of tar and lzop but what i get
is the same file without extension tlz.
Can anybody provide me some details about how to extract the lzop
cmpressed file?

thanks in advance
Haennes

rjking

Mar 3, 2010, 10:37:09 AM3/3/10
to vmsbackup
Not sure if you're specifically using Ubuntu, but this may help either
way...

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/lzop.1.html

Ryan King

Haennes

Mar 3, 2010, 1:18:58 PM3/3/10
to vmsbackup

Thanks for your answer, but man pages sometimes aren't very helpful
when confusing things happen.
In this case i've extract first the tlz-file with lzop -S .tlz ... and
second step: i use tar to decompress the output from lzop. haven't get
that going with tar and lzop in one step :-(.

I'm quite unfamiliar with tar, but some comment about how to extract
the backup would be very helpful and save some time.

rjking

Mar 15, 2010, 8:31:21 PM3/15/10
to vmsbackup
Hi there-

You'll use a standard TAR operation to decompress, specifying the
compressor as LZOP. You'll have to run this on a system with both tar
and LZOP installed (from the desired destination path):

tar --use-compress-program=lzop -xvf /path/to/file.lzop

Michele Pensotti

Mar 16, 2010, 5:10:36 AM3/16/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Extracted from the help files my backup script creates for every VM backed up:

To extract the archive's contents in the current directory
you need to run the following command

cat /path_to_backup_files/cavia-2000.tar.lzo* | lzop -d | tar -xvf -

To merge the slices you need to run the following command

cat cavia-2000.tar.lzo* > cavia-2000.tar.lzo

Once you have extracted the archive's contents in a folder you can then start the VM
by opening VmWare Server console and chosing "Open Existing Virtual Machine"
then browse the host to the folder where you extracted the VM files

now the VM is in the inventory and you can select it and, from the Snapshot menu
you have to click "Revert to Snapshot"
the VM will be restored to the exact moment and state when it was backed up

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Michele

You'll use a standard TAR operation to decompress, specifying
> the
compressor as LZOP. You'll have to run this on a system with both
> tar
and LZOP installed (from the desired destination path):

tar
> --use-compress-program=lzop -xvf /path/to/file.lzop

On Mar 3, 11:18 am,
> Haennes <

> href="mailto:flep...@mailinator.com">flep...@mailinator.com>

> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, but man pages sometimes aren't very
> helpful
> when confusing things happen.
> In this case i've extract
> first the tlz-file with lzop -S .tlz ... and
> second step: i use tar to
> decompress the output from lzop. haven't get
> that going with tar and
> lzop in one step :-(.
>
> I'm quite unfamiliar with tar, but some
> comment about how to extract
> the backup would be very helpful and save
> some time.
>
> On 3 Mrz., 16:37, rjking <

> ymailto="mailto:ryan.k...@gosynesis.com"
> href="mailto:ryan.k...@gosynesis.com">ryan.k...@gosynesis.com>

> wrote:
>

> > Not sure if you're specifically
> using Ubuntu, but this may help either
> > way...
>

> target=_blank

> >http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/lzop.1.html
>

> > Ryan King
>
> > On Mar 2, 2:05 am, Haennes <

> ymailto="mailto:flep...@mailinator.com"
> href="mailto:flep...@mailinator.com">flep...@mailinator.com>

> wrote:
>
> > > Hi there,
>
> > > i'm really
> ashamed about my question how to extract files which were
> > >
> created with the vmware-backupscript v1.0(and compress program=lzop).
>
> > > Indeed i've gone through the man pages of tar and lzop but what i
> get
> > > is the same file without extension tlz.
> > >
> Can anybody provide me some details about how to extract the lzop
> >
> > cmpressed file?
>
> > > thanks in advance
> >
> > Haennes

> ymailto="mailto:unsub...@googlegroups.com"
> href="mailto:unsub...@googlegroups.com">unsub...@googlegroups.com.
For
> more options, visit this group at
> href="http://groups.google.com/group/vmsbackup?hl=en" target=_blank
> >http://groups.google.com/group/vmsbackup?hl=en.

Haennes

Mar 18, 2010, 7:18:04 AM3/18/10
to vmsbackup
Thanks rjking,

"tar --use-compress-program=lzop -xvf /path/to/file.lzop"

i can't remember exactly, but i think i mixed up the order of the
options, because i tested similar command earlier, but this works for
me, even with tlz file ending, for which i had to use option -S in my
previous attempt.
What still keeps me a little confused is that script creates files
like backupxxx.TLZ. Is there any reason to not using lzo as file
ending?

Greeting
Haennes