vim.fault.InvalidLogin

kareem613

Jan 10, 2010, 12:47:15 AM1/10/10
to vmsbackup
I can't seem to get this script to work. I followed the setup
instructions closely, but I keep getting the same error. How can I
check if my user is setup right?
I ran this and it gives the same error.
sudo vmware-vim-cmd -U vmbackup -P vmb4ckup vmsvc/getallvms

I know those credentials are correct though.

Any ideas?
Here's the output.

$VMVERSION = 2
$GUESTPATH = /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines
Debug mode enabled
2010-01-10 [ 0:43:02] -> SCRIPT STARTED
2010-01-10 [ 0:43:02] -> The check of the directories has been
completed without errors
2010-01-10 [ 0:43:02] -> Sanity checks completed without errors,
starting backup procedure
2010-01-10 [ 0:43:02] -> the following VMs will be backed up
pbx
$GUESTCONF = [standard]/pbx
$GUESTVMX =
2010-01-10 [ 0:43:02] -> Backup of the VM pbx started
Failed to login: vim.fault.InvalidLogin
Getting vm status...
Failed to login: vim.fault.InvalidLogin
the specified VM is invalid

William Stone

Jan 10, 2010, 11:17:32 AM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Are you running as root?

Sent from my iPhone

> --
> .

Kareem Sultan

Jan 10, 2010, 1:57:30 PM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
I'm running as root when I execute the script yes. The vmbackup user
configured in the script is not root though.

William Stone

Jan 10, 2010, 2:26:20 PM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Try using the root user instead of the other and see if it works

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Kareem Sultan <kareem...@gmail.com>

dominique carvalho

Jan 10, 2010, 2:34:22 PM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
:)

The user that you configure in the script don't need to be root (so I guess), but it need to have permissions to perform the actions needed for the script. you can do this in the wvmware's console of your machine (see the read me for instructions). and more, the user don't even need access to the machine console, so you can give it a "/bin/false" console.

Kareem Sultan

Jan 10, 2010, 4:52:41 PM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
I tried putting in the config my root user with full access to
everything. Still get the same error.
Dominique. I had already followed all the install instructions so the
vmbackup user is all setup in vmware for access.

Anything else I can check? It doesn't seem like the problem is the
script itself. I can't run that command from the shell either.

dominique carvalho

Jan 10, 2010, 8:02:18 PM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
I started to get some issues with Vmware Server 2 and CentOS 5.4 (better downgrade to 5.3 if it's the case), i had several instability. Are you using the last version of VM Server?

Kareem Sultan

Jan 10, 2010, 8:56:15 PM1/10/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
I'm using ubuntu server. Could that be part of the issue?

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM, dominique carvalho

dominique carvalho

Jan 11, 2010, 7:43:05 AM1/11/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. no ideia by now.
:(
Maybe trying to reinstall vmware server could solve, once the error is when it tryes to log in.

Michele Pensotti

Jan 12, 2010, 5:27:03 AM1/12/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Hello, sorry for the late answer.

If you really are running as root, why do you use sudo to run the command?
Also, have you tried to use the root user's credentials to run the vmware-vim-cmd command?

Can you do a successful login in the vmware web console with the vmbackup user and his password?

Please let me know.

Regards,

    Michele