0 VMs are enabled for backup

Paulo Dias

Sep 14, 2009, 8:16:18 PM9/14/09
to vmsbackup
Hello guys
just now I'm trying to use your script backup_vmware.sh stable"
version 3.12a 29-07-2009
It's a great job, congratulations. So, when I try run this script I
have problems and not work for me, course I know that is anything in
my configs, but I don't found where are the errors. I using vmware 2
and I read the files install.txt and readme but it's not work for me.
my configs are.
host centos 5.2
vmware V.2
are installed sendEmail
LVM I know what is it, but don't know what the state in my system, I
guess it's false.
the vms are suse 10.3 and windows SV 2003
the place where the vms are storage is /var/vm

below is the exist for the comand[root@centos ~]#
backup_vmware3.12a.sh -l
$VMVERSION = 2
$GUESTPATH = /var/vm
The following VMs are registered

16,Windows Server 2003,[standard],Windows Server 2003/Windows Server
2003.vmx
32,suse 10.3,[standard],suse 10.3/suse 10.3.vmx

the following 0 VMs are enabled for backup

and the exit for the command backup_vmware3.12a.sh -D

[root@centos bin]# backup_vmware3.12a.sh -D
$VMVERSION = 2
$GUESTPATH = /var/vm
Debug mode enabled
2009-09-13 [14:19:19] -> SCRIPT STARTED
2009-09-13 [14:19:19] -> The check of the directories has been
completed without errors
2009-09-13 [14:19:19]cannot continue, background snapshots are still
enabled \nplease disable them by adding the following two lines \n
\nmainMem.partialLazySave = "FALSE" \nmainMem.partialLazyRestore =
"FALSE" \n\nin the /etc/vmware/config file \nand then restart all of
your running VMs \nor set the relevant option in the VMWare console
\nHOST -> Settings -> Priority -> "Take and restore snapshots in the
background" \nand then restart all of your running VMs
2009-09-13 [14:19:19] -> Sanity checks completed without errors,
starting backup procedure
2009-09-13 [14:19:19] -> there are no VMs to be backed up , exiting
[root@centos bin]#

Dominique C.F.

Sep 14, 2009, 8:51:30 PM9/14/09
to vmsbackup
Hi, you have to logon at the console, than you have to configure the
host to unmark the option "Take and restore snapshots in the
background"

Ps.: Are you from Brazil?

Paulo Dias

Sep 14, 2009, 10:02:38 PM9/14/09
to vmsbackup

Ok Dominique, Thanks I'll try this.

yes, I from Brazil. Are you too?

Message has been deleted

Paulo Dias

Sep 14, 2009, 10:22:09 PM9/14/09
to vmsbackup
The option " Take and restore snapshots in background is unmarked.
and I receive the same error.
below is the command and the message that I receive.
[root@centos bin]# backup_vmware3.12a.sh -c -s hot -f tar
$VMVERSION = 2
$GUESTPATH = /var/vm
Debug mode enabled
check mode enabled, only the checks will be performed and no actual
backup will take place
2009-09-14 [23:13:01] -> SCRIPT STARTED
2009-09-14 [23:13:01] -> The check of the directories has been
completed without errors
2009-09-14 [23:13:01] -> Sanity checks completed without errors,
starting backup procedure
2009-09-14 [23:13:01] -> there are no VMs to be backed up , exiting

I'm novice with vmware server, and this is project for my monograph,
Consolidation of servers using Open Source Systems. And backup and
restore of the vms are an important step, in this project.

Dominique C.F.

Sep 14, 2009, 10:25:56 PM9/14/09
to vmsbackup
YEAHHH, FROM BRAZILLLL

So, let's go on. You have to create a file named ".backup" at the
directory of the VM you want to backup. This is what "tells" the
script that the VM will be backed up.

Add me on msn: dominique_carvalho em hotmail.com

Paulo Dias

Sep 14, 2009, 10:30:02 PM9/14/09
to vmsbackup

Ok I will add you on msn.
nice have a brazilian guy to try help me in this problem,
Thanks man.

10nico

Sep 19, 2009, 4:19:59 AM9/19/09
to vmsbackup
Hello Paulo, you can also enable VMs with the script:

./backup_vmware.sh -e "name of the VM"

Also, I'd suggest you to try out the latest SVN version which can be
downloaded from the SVN repository.
It has improved quite a bit over the 3.12a version and there are less
bugs.

Please download both the script (backup_vmware.sh) and the
configuration file (backup_vmware.conf) and then make them executable
by

chmod +x "backup_vmware.sh"
chmod +x "backup_vmware.conf"

Then you can run it as usual.

Goodbye!

Michele

wj.stone

Oct 5, 2009, 3:20:42 PM10/5/09
to vmsbackup
How/where do we access it on SVN

10nico

Oct 7, 2009, 5:47:23 AM10/7/09
to vmsbackup
Hello and sorry for the late answer.

There are *at least* two ways to fetch the files from the SVN
repository:

1) open the url
http://code.google.com/p/vmsbackup/source/browse/#svn/trunk
and download all the files to your hard drive

2) install an SVN client like TortoiseSVN ( http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
)
and anonymously fetch the latest SVN snapshot using the instructions
at this url:

http://code.google.com/p/vmsbackup/source/checkout

Then you follow the instructions in the README.TXT and INSTALL.TXT
files and you're on the road!

Regards,

Michele