Error while running VMWare backup script

James

Aug 11, 2009, 6:25:01 PM8/11/09
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I get the following error on my CentOS 5 server, running VMWare 1.05, the guest refuses to suspend then pops up a window in VMWare console saying did not suspend.

I get this out put on the command line:

./vmsbackup.sh
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/VMware/VmPerl.pm line 114.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Current VM is /home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server 2003 Small Business.vmx
/home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server 2003 Small Business.vmx displayName is WindowsServer2003SmallBusiness
/home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server 2003 Small Business.vmx directoryName is Windows Server 2003 Small Business
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/VMware/VmPerl.pm line 114.
WindowsServer2003SmallBusiness state is currently: on
suspending WindowsServer2003SmallBusiness - MODE=suspend . . .
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/VMware/VmPerl.pm line 114.
VMControl error -16: Virtual machine requires user input to continue
./vmsbackup.sh: line 186: [: ==: unary operator expected
/home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server 2003 Small Business.vmx DID NOT SUSPEND!! Exiting Program.

Lines 113 to 115 reads:

#Force version compatability
die "Perl API Version does not match dynamic library version."
    unless (version() eq $VERSION);

Anyone else seen this? Or have any ideas / solutions!?

Many Thanks

James

Par_Tojkander

Aug 12, 2009, 1:18:06 AM8/12/09
to vmsbackup
I'm afraid that script is not the one we're developing on this site.
The one you have is written in perl, and the one featured here is
written in bash shell code.

Best regards,

Pär

James

Aug 12, 2009, 3:38:23 AM8/12/09
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Damn, sorry about that!

10nico

Aug 12, 2009, 3:58:08 AM8/12/09
to vmsbackup
I have to correct you Par, the vmsbackup script is a bash script, and
was created by Gerald Anderson , the founder of this group.
The perl error that James has reported is a common error which
"affects" vmware server on the CentOS distro; it's a non-fatal error,
and can be removed by commenting out the lines 114 and 115 of the
file

/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/VMware/
VmPerl.pm

As for the error at line 186 of the vmsbackup script I sincerely don't
have it in mind and would turn this issue over to Gerald, if he's
listening!

Regards,

Michele

Par_Tojkander

Aug 12, 2009, 4:29:00 AM8/12/09
to vmsbackup
Oh, sorry about that!

I answered too quickly, thank you for correcting me :)

Pär
> > > ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo­oo
> > > Current VM is /home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small
> > > Business/Windows Server 2003 Small Business.vmx
> > > /home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server
> > > 2003 Small Business.vmx displayName is WindowsServer2003SmallBusiness
> > > /home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server
> > > 2003 Small Business.vmx directoryName is Windows Server 2003 Small Business
> > > Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
> > > /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/VMware/VmPerl.pm
> > > line 114.
> > > WindowsServer2003SmallBusiness state is currently: on
> > > suspending WindowsServer2003SmallBusiness - MODE=suspend . . .
> > > Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
> > > /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/VMware/VmPerl.pm
> > > line 114.
> > > VMControl error -16: Virtual machine requires user input to continue
> > > ./vmsbackup.sh: line 186: [: ==: unary operator expected
> > > /home/virtual-machines/Windows Server 2003 Small Business/Windows Server
> > > 2003 Small Business.vmx DID NOT SUSPEND!! Exiting Program.
>
> > > Lines 113 to 115 reads:
>
> > > #Force version compatability
> > > die "Perl API Version does not match dynamic library version."
> > >     unless (version() eq $VERSION);
>
> > > Anyone else seen this? Or have any ideas / solutions!?
>
> > > Many Thanks
>
> > > James- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

James

Aug 12, 2009, 7:07:46 AM8/12/09
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Uhm, what version of the script should I be using to backup VMWare 1.05 ?? So it's safe to comment out these lines then?

10nico

Aug 12, 2009, 7:14:20 AM8/12/09
to vmsbackup
I'd use the latest available version of backup_vmware.sh, which at the
moment is 3.12a, and you can get it from the "file" section on this
very same group

http://groups.google.com/group/vmsbackup/files

or from the googlecode download section

http://code.google.com/p/vmsbackup/downloads/list

The file you want is backup_vmware3.12a.zip

You need to follow the instructions (read the README and INSTALL files
inside the zip file) to install it.

And yes, you can safely comment out the two lines 114 and 115.

Regards,

Michele