Error with option "hot"

Lopez jean-luc

Jan 31, 2010, 5:00:00 AM1/31/10
to vmsbackup
Hello,
Thank you for this script, but i have a message with "hot" option :

tar: ubuntu/564df488-2f33-96fc-b49b-0b1abb8cfc89.vmem: file changed as
we read it
2010-01-31 [10:27:57] -> an error occurred while creating the
compressed archive ubuntu.tar.gz , will proceed with the next VM

The flag LVM option is "false" and my script version is 3.12b.

An idea ?

Michele Pensotti

Feb 1, 2010, 3:37:18 AM2/1/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
I just have this question, have you disabled background snapshots?

Regards,

Michele

> I just have this question, have you disabled background snapshots?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michele
>
> ________________________________

Michele Pensotti

Feb 3, 2010, 5:38:06 AM2/3/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Hello again Jean-Luc.

This is very strange, it seems the .vmem file is being accessed while tar is backing them up.
Is this vm a very busy one? Or, to be more precise, is it busy at the moment when the backup takes place?

I have some VMs that do exhibit this behavior and in this specific case the error message is normal and does not compromise the integrity of the backup.
However the error does not occur regularly but only some times.
In your case the error does occur every time you do the backup?

Also, after you've disabled the background snapshots, did you do a stop-start of the vmware server ( /etc/init.d/vmware restart )?

Regards,

Michele

> I just have this question, have you disabled background snapshots?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michele
>
> ________________________________

LOPEZ Jean-Luc

Feb 3, 2010, 6:15:10 PM2/3/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
The disk was full...

Michele Pensotti

Feb 4, 2010, 4:51:42 AM2/4/10
to vmsb...@googlegroups.com
Ops!

I never considered such a case 8-)

Well I hope that now with a bigger storage device you'll be in business again with no further problems!

Live long and prosper,

    Michele