Triggering an event inside a Linux Kernel Module

leon....@is.currently.online

Jun 7, 2018, 9:17:42 AM6/7/18
to vmit...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Over the past few days I've been using libvmi for some VM introspection
and establishing a crude communication channel together with a small
Linux Kernel Module inside the VM. It works great so far.

I'm now at a point where I've written to some memory using libvmi and
need to tell the Kernel Module about it. I don't need to transmit any
data / payload as I have other tools for that.

My Question is therefore:
Is it possible to use (or possibly abuse) libvmi (on Xen) to trigger
some kind of event or interrupt inside the VM? And to catch that event
inside the Linux Kernel to wake up a wait queue for example?

Right now I'm just watching the memory in a loop wich sleeps most of the
time. While it sort of works, an event or interrupt-based solution would
be much nicer.

Thanks!

Regards,
- Leon