4 things

Krystriana Clark

Dec 7, 2019, 2:50:39 PM12/7/19
to Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List
Greetings,

I am curious, what does everyone find to be the 4 top tasks or ministries you do as a verger in your church?

The reason I am asking, is the priest in charge of my church and I are going through the process of defining the role of verger in our parish and how it relates to other vergers in other parishes.  What I am finding is that there is "no one way" to be a verger but we are looking for common themes.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Krys Clark

Richard Lammlin

Dec 7, 2019, 3:15:53 PM12/7/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
I schedule everyone who serves, greeters, ushers, acolytes, chalicists, lector’s.  I also control time of departure on the recessional, seating of folks in the chancel.  I train acolytes.  Most importantly I attend the staff meeting weekly so we all plan together.

Rich Lammlin
FVGEC

Sent from my RFLphone

On Dec 7, 2019, at 2:50 PM, Krystriana Clark <kryst...@gmail.com> wrote:

Groups "V-List" group.

The Vergers Voice blog has the latest news about the VGEC. Join us at news.vergers.org.

Follow the VGEC on:

http://vergers.org
http://news.vergers.org
http://facebook.com/vergerguild
http://youtube.com/vergertv

vlist+un...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/vlist?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vlist/3f9b1cec-fe85-4757-8b3c-a0cd3d7cd1da%40googlegroups.com.

Eileen Brightwell

Dec 7, 2019, 4:00:34 PM12/7/19
to VGEC
1. Sunday morning, 30 minutes before start of service, I walk through the sanctuary and check everything: lights, sound, altar setup, Gospel book, missal,batteries in mikes, water for priest and deacon,everything.
2. Check the duty roster to make sure all worship ministries are covered. If not then I draft replacements and coach them as necessary. Also includes ushers and greeters.
3. Make sure worship committee meetings happen on a regular basis. Take minutes at the meetings, type up minutes, and send to priest to finalize and distribute.
4. My special power is anticipating problems during actual services and taking corrective action quickly and quietly.

Also, I seldom vest as a verger except on Palm Sunday and the Great Vigil of Easter. And at VGEC Annual Conferences!

Eileen Brightwell Hicks
Verger, Trinity Episcopal Church, Baytown TX

David Rubin

Dec 7, 2019, 4:03:58 PM12/7/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
I also schedule the lay ministries and train their members, with the significant exception of Altar Guild-they are a force unto themselves! It’s also my responsibility to remind clergy of any liturgical or other changes on a particular Sunday as well as ensure they have fresh batteries in their mikes. I attend staff meetings and have regular meetings with the rector to discuss seasonal changes in the liturgy, etc. I am also prepared to step into any lay function, should the need arise.

Bill Cox

Dec 7, 2019, 8:45:34 PM12/7/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
  1. Prepare the weekly bulletins and slide packages for Sunday services, in both English and Spanish.  Office volunteers actually copy and fold the printed bulletins.
  2. Manage or assist with the web site, Facebook presence, and YouTube channels.  On those Sundays when I’m not vested in the Altar Party (we have four vergers and a rotating schedule), run the audio mixer panel, the slide projector system, and/or the video camera.
  3. Assist the Altar Guild with the “high, holy, and heavy” spaces of the church.  (i.e., move furnishings, change banners, assist with those things that generally require using a ladder.)
  4. “Keeper of the Customaries”  Coordinate with the Rector regarding liturgy planning (tracked and distributed via Google Sheets) and notify affected groups of upcoming changes.

Bonus 5.  Like all of us, be prepared to step in for a missing lay role and/or respond to issues during a service.

Bill Cox

Verger, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Austin, TX

www.austinstjohns.org

"Servitas in cultu et cultus per servitatem."

Tom Brewster

Dec 10, 2019, 6:22:24 PM12/10/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krys,
Just to be short and sweet about it.

Management for 15 years of:
All service volunteers including 6 vergers
All services including setup
Planning and orchestrating special services
# 1 serving as a verger

Yours in God
Tom Brewster

Thomas C. Brewster, PhD
Chief Verger
St. John's Episcopal Church
1419 Pine Street
Boulder, CO

Brian Buss

Dec 12, 2019, 12:10:43 PM12/12/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com

I would very interested to read the replies that you might have received.

Please email privately to bbu...@hotmail.com

Thanks

Brian P Buss

Retired Verger