Holy week plans...

Krystriana Clark

Mar 26, 2020, 1:50:00 PM3/26/20
to vl...@googlegroups.com
With holy week and Easter fast approaching, has anyone made contingency plans for holy week if everything remains in lockdown?

Peace,

Krys Clark
Verger
St. Matthew's Episcopal church
Westerville ohio

Chris Wagner

Mar 26, 2020, 1:55:26 PM3/26/20
to Vergers List
We just heard from our diocese that there will be no public in-person worship until at least May 31st. We are actively in the process of figuring out how to observe Holy Week as a community on-line

Chris Wagner
Christ Church Andover
Andover, MA

Groups "V-List" group.

The Vergers Voice blog has the latest news about the VGEC. Join us at news.vergers.org.

Follow the VGEC on:

http://vergers.org
http://news.vergers.org
http://facebook.com/vergerguild
http://youtube.com/vergertv

vlist+un...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/vlist?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vlist/CA%2BATS%3DS2ArO0PH%2Bf-YbFJM1vqfd1nyvo%2BCu%3DSLB7L%3DvfHuxKxQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Margaret McLarty

Mar 26, 2020, 3:38:41 PM3/26/20
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Yes! A big challenge for us all.

We are preparing a bulletin for Holy Week. It will focus on having parishioners gather things from their home that go with the service.

Palm Sunday- Some type of Palm (or what you have in Your yard, or park) leaf.
Maundy Thus. - Way to have a meal and/or foot washing materials.
Vigil- new candle
Easter- Flowers from your home

Also we will have video clips,(prerecorded) for readings, music and homily all on our website.
Doing it ahead for quality control.

A lot of clergy groups have discussed these ideas. Some smaller parishes are joining larger groups.

I know our New Fire for the Vigil will be used for the Diocesan Joint worship offering.

Glad to hear your ideas!

Margaret McLarty
Dean’s Verger
St Andrews Cathedral
Jackson Mississippi

Sent from my iPhone

Ellie Lopez

Mar 26, 2020, 6:40:19 PM3/26/20
to vl...@googlegroups.com
   One church in Baltimore is having a "drive-by" to distribute palm fronds on April 5th. No plans for Holy week so far or for Easter.  Washington Nat'l. Cathedral is streaming Mass at 11 AM with a virtual Eucharist.  We are the Church wherever we are.
    Ellie Lopez  FVGEC

Diane Strangis

Mar 26, 2020, 10:22:25 PM3/26/20
to vl...@googlegroups.com
The Diocese of North Carolina will put together some virtual worship Holy Week worship services that all parishes can access electronically. Overall our Diocese has strict policies about how many Clergy and technical people are permitted to be present at one time. Most of the state is under a shelter in place situation. My church is no longer live streaming a Sunday Service. The Clergy pre-recorded Lent 5 and it will be broadcast on our YouTube channel Sunday. A bulletin was sent out electronically with access instructions for the service.
We are doing lots of Zoom meetings for formation (adult, youth, children) and to provide support both to continue Lent in this alternate universe but also to provide individuals and groups opportunities to connect  Our Clergy and staff are amazing. I hope we are vocal enough in giving them permission to take care of themselves. Much peace,
Diane Strangis
St. Philip’s Episcopal Church
Durham, NC

Sent from my iPhone

Krystriana Clark

Mar 29, 2020, 10:41:10 PM3/29/20
to Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List
Just thought I would update on what our worship team decided on what we would do....

St. Matthews is a little different from the typical parish as we do not have a formal church building, but a community house.  Late this week we are going to have a come and pick up your palm event on the front porch of the house.  Palms will be spread on a table on the entryway of the porch for parsh members to pick.  Father Joseph, our priest in charge will be on the porch, and able to talk to members and offer blessings while maintaining social distancing.

Palm Sunday - we will be streaming both our 8am morning prayer and 10:30 Eucharist services.  There we will go through the standard palm sunday services but with only our two priests, deacon, music director,and myself at the camera.  We have been doing services this way for the last two weeks and it has been working well for us (or at least as well as can be).

During holy week we are going to encourage members to build home altars in their homes.  We are going to include some ideas on how to incorporate the home altars into daily life and while watching streaming services at St. Matts.

Maundy Thursday - We are going to stream our service.  Instead of foot washing, we will include images of the pitcher and washbasin and see about doing a meditation of footwashing.  We will also strip the altar during the stream.
We are also going to still do our overnight vigil and garden of repose.  We will live stream the whole vigil for those who wish to pray from home and we may allow 1 person outside of the streamer to come in to pay at the atar at a time.

Good Friday - We will be steaming stations of the cross.

Easter Sunday.  Traditionally, St. Matts does a Sunrise service at 7am in front of a local coffee shop in Westerville.  This will still be done.  10:30am service will be streamed as always.

Not to toot my church's horn too loudly, but as a congregation, I think we really has adapted as well as can be expected in view of the virus lockdown.  We offer all meetings over zoom, including 7pm daily check-in/ brief prayers for those who want, Wednesday night Compline, and a Thursday night reflection from Father Joseph.  We also have a email list though Google (just like this one).  We are not a cash rich church, but we have found it amazingly easy to stream online using nothing but a smart phone and our imagination.  Lastly, we have also phone called all in the parish to make sure everyone is safe.

Hope this brings ideas for anyone looking for more ways to reach out during these trying times.

-Krys Clark