Layperson Cannons

VergerGlen Wesner

Apr 20, 2023, 2:05:57 PM4/20/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Group

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge on the criteria for making a layperson a cannon?  I presume most cannons are found in a Cathedral.  Does the Episcopal Church have a position on this matter?  I know that Kent Wingerson at Grace Cathedral, Topeka raise this question and there wasn't much response.

Thank You
Glen R. Wesner
Verger
Grace And Holy Trinity Cathedral
Kansas City, Missouri

Richard Eckman

Apr 20, 2023, 2:23:43 PM4/20/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Bring on the 125mm

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2023, at 11:05 AM, VergerGlen Wesner <verge...@comcast.net> wrote:

Groups "V-List" group.

The Vergers Voice blog has the latest news about the VGEC. Join us at news.vergers.org.

Follow the VGEC on:

http://vergers.org
http://news.vergers.org
http://facebook.com/vergerguild
http://youtube.com/vergertv

vlist+un...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/vlist?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vlist/1206782895.4338573.1682013956379%40connect.xfinity.com.

Dianne Betts

Apr 20, 2023, 2:24:02 PM4/20/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Tony Briggle, acolyte master and verger at St. Michael and All Angels in Dallas, was made a canon several years ago for his continued service to the diocese.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2023, at 1:06 PM, VergerGlen Wesner <verge...@comcast.net> wrote:

Darin Herndon

Apr 20, 2023, 2:36:51 PM4/20/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Glen,

I found the following online (source: https://www.tonyhj.ca/Priest/faq_priest.html#canon).  I am providing it as something that may generate conversation as people agree or disagree with this.  Basically, this would indicate that there is not an objective criteria but rather this is a subjective decision by the bishop.  Perhaps some diocese have more objective requirements.

Respectfully,

Darin K. Herndon

What is an Anglican “Canon”?  It sounds like some kind of gun!

The word “Canon” is an honorary title.  It is granted by a diocesan bishop to clergy (and sometimes to lay persons) who have served the church faithfully for a number of years, and who are worthy of some respect.  Since the Latin word canonicus means “law” or “rule” it may be assumed that the life of the person who holds the title is a standard or rule that others would do well to copy.

In the early history of the church Canons were priests who shared a home and followed a “rule” or pattern of daily life.  Later the word referred to clergy who were part of the life of a great cathedral.  They helped to administer the cathedral and would elect certain church officials.  Nowadays, in the Anglican church, there is still a slight connection with the local cathedral, where a Canon might be obliged to attend a meeting once a year, but primarily the title is an honorary one with little or no duties attached.

As referenced above, you might say, “Good morning, Canon Jenkins,” in a conversation, although using his or her given name is more usual.  Addressing an envelope would follow this form: “The Rev’d Canon W.R. Jenkins.”

Anglican Canons are entitled to wear a distinctive style of cassock.6  The basic black of the vestment is trimmed with red satin; there are red buttons, a red cincture, and the short upper cape has a red lining (see photo).  Wearing such a grand vestment is optional, and many Anglican canons in Canada choose not to do so.

The difference between church Canons and large weapons of war is all in the spelling: a “cannon” is a weapon; a “Canon” is a church official with an honorary title; and a “canon” is a church bylaw.

On Apr 20, 2023, at 1:05 PM, VergerGlen Wesner <verge...@comcast.net> wrote:

Krystriana Clark

Apr 20, 2023, 8:14:12 PM4/20/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

Here in Southern Ohio we have a lay Cannon.  And I do know that as one of his final acts, our last bishop (we are in the process of calling a new one) did make an honorary lay cannon as a gesture to one person who went way above and beyond.  But not being affiliated with the cathedral myself, I do not know the details.  I do know that in my diocese, we do have a few cannons spread out across the diocese.  I do not believe they are just a cathedral "fixture" as it were, but since the running of the diocese is usually near it, it makes sense a lot of them would be centered there.

Let me know if anyone would like me to reach out and ask.  It may take a while for a response.

In service,
Krystriana (Krys) Clark, FVGEC
Verger/ Vestry member
St. Matthew's Episcopal, Westerville
Diocese of Southern Ohio

Karen Ragland

Apr 21, 2023, 6:42:32 AM4/21/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,
I work as a consultant in my Diocese . I have posed the question to our Bishop's Chief of Staff and will forward his response to you as soon as possible.
Peace, Karen D Ragland
Verger, The Historic African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas

Karen Ragland

Apr 21, 2023, 7:44:56 AM4/21/23
to vl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to Canon Shawn Wamsley, Canon to the Ordinary, Chief of Staff, The Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania, for this reply question re: criteria for laypersons as Canons:

Three kinds of Canons (which can be either clergy or laity - or is not restricted to one or the other though historically it was a priest):
Cathedrals appoint Canons with bishop’s approval to serve as senior members of staff (this harkens back to when cathedrals were schools/colleges and served as huge ministry hubs)

Bishops appoint canons to serve in specialized ministries- frequently it will carry the connotation of “honor” because these titles denote the authority to do ministry on behalf of the bishop (or in the case of Canon to the Ordinary, to speak on the bishop’s behalf)

Honorary Canons - the bishop (or cathedral with the bishop’s approval) names an individual an honorary canon for exemplary service to the church/diocese.

There aren’t really hard and fast rules about it as the title finds its significance in the will of the bishop. However, generally speaking, these are the three functions of the title “Canon” in the Episcopal Church

See #3 in the explanation here:

<https://www.episcopalchurch.org/glossary/canon/>
Canon<https://www.episcopalchurch.org/glossary/canon/>
episcopalchurch.org<https://www.episcopalchurch.org/glossary/canon/>
[cropped-shield-180x180.png] <https://www.episcopalchurch.org/glossary/canon/>

Peace, Karen D Ragland
Verger, The Historic African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Groups "V-List" group.

The Vergers Voice blog has the latest news about the VGEC. Join us at news.vergers.org.

Follow the VGEC on:

http://vergers.org
http://news.vergers.org
http://facebook.com/vergerguild
http://youtube.com/vergertv

vlist+un...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/vlist?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vlist/1206782895.4338573.1682013956379%40connect.xfinity.com.

--
Father God, Thank You that You are the Great Shepherd of the sheep and You are my Good Shepherd in Whom I trust. Keep me I pray from all dangers that stalk my path and may I find true comfort and protection, provision and peace in You, to my life's end--in Jesus name I pray, AMEN