Adolescent Acolytes/Reserve

Ellie Lopez

Aug 26, 2019, 2:24:06 PM8/26/19
to Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List
Good afternoon Vergers,
On a recent Sunday, our Priest In Charge, a Postulant, and an adolescent acolyte served. I sat in the pew for that Mass. The Priest motioned for the acolyte to retrieve the Reserve from the Tabernacle. That happened once years ago and there was a strong reprimand came from the Rector (not the same server). Prior to this occurrence, only a Priest, Deacon, or I (if pressed) have brought the Reserved to the Altar. I have not verged since the PIC has been in place in May, but still help train the youth. Experienced a similar situation?
   Ellie Lopez, FVGEC
   St. James', Lafayette Sq.
   Baltimore, Md.

joe.stu...@swbell.net

Aug 26, 2019, 2:53:16 PM8/26/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com

Our Sanctuary is in the center of the Nave, and the Tabernacle with the Reserved Sacrament is on a retable against a far wall.  For many years our Altar Servers have retrieved the Sacrament, and the Verger, primarily high school juniors and seniors reserve it after communion.  We teach them to genuflect at the tabernacle prior to opening it, and after closing it after reserving it.

In our view, there is no sound reason to restrict the retrieval and replacement of the sacrament to the ordained or any other office as long as those asked to do it have been trained to show appropriate respect and reverence for the Presence.  In  fact, training Acolytes to do it gives us the opportunity to teach them that reverence and the importance of the Presence of Christ’s body in the Church.  In more that 20 years, not one Acolyte has failed to act appropriately – in fact it increases their interest, enthusiasm, and reverence.

Joe Sturdevant

Verger

Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Tomball, TX

713-256-3684

joe.stu...@swbell.net

“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”- C.S. Lewis

Groups "V-List" group.

The Vergers Voice blog has the latest news about the VGEC. Join us at news.vergers.org.

Follow the VGEC on:

http://vergers.org
http://news.vergers.org
http://facebook.com/vergerguild
http://youtube.com/vergertv

vlist+un...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/vlist?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vlist/1703338466.1651029.1566843843076%40mail.yahoo.com.

Richard Lammlin

Aug 26, 2019, 5:40:29 PM8/26/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
I always retrieve it when necessary.

Rich

Sent from my RFL ipadpro
59 Old Post Rd Unit H2
Clinton, CT 06413

Louis Bower-Bannister

Aug 26, 2019, 6:16:12 PM8/26/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
At the Cathedral of All Saints, Albany, if the Celebrant is unable to retrieve the Reserved Sacrament, it is done either by the Deacon or Subdeacon or the Verger.  That’s simply because we have enough of these folks serving that it can be done.

That said, as long as it’s retrieved reverently, it matters not who does the retrieving.  It is, after all, at the discretion of the Rector.

Louis Bannister
Verger
Cathedral of All Saints, Albany, NY

Sent from my iPhone

Danny Meadors

Aug 26, 2019, 9:27:39 PM8/26/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
At St. Patrick's Long Beach, MS our Tabernacle is located in our chapel, a Acolyte or Licensed Eucharistic Minister or Verger retrieves the Reserved Sacrament of needed.

Danny Ray Meadors
Verger
St. Patrick's Episcopal Church
Long Beach, Mississippi
"Service in Worship and Worship through Service"

Bob Shelton

Aug 27, 2019, 12:02:37 AM8/27/19
to Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List
I concur with the generally accepted principal of having anyone who knows how do do the task with the proper reverence perform the task. At St. Matthew's it is normally done by the Priest, Deacon or Verger, but that is done so as a matter of convenience as we are already in place to make that happen.

However, as I have been told by more than one Bishop, "The Priest is in charge, period!"
Bob Shelton, FVGEC
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
Hillsborough, NC 27278

Vergergc

Aug 27, 2019, 12:15:04 PM8/27/19
to Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church V-List
We have had vergers (or clergy) handling the reserve (bread / wine) when needed for decades. In our case, the Altar Guild has already placed the reserve bread on one of the two credence tables used for each service. Since our aumbry is in an adjacent chapel that's a minute saved if we need to shift to the reserve.

We also find it helpful to use and replace those wafers so they don't end up sitting for weeks (not in a zip lock bag) in the aumbry during our humid seasons. Everyone is used to genuflecting appropriately as indicated with the sanctuary lamp being lighted.

Our acolytes are middle school and high school age and simply have not been trained regarding handling the reserve. But they certainly know when it's time to genuflect in the presence of consecrated elements.

Faithfully,

Kent Wingerson, FVGEC
Grace Cathedral, Topeka, KS.

Ellie Lopez

Charles Wibert

Aug 29, 2019, 11:42:45 PM8/29/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com
The priest is the priest is the priest, therefore (according to canons) the priest is in charge. Leave it at that.

Chuck Wibert

Bob Shelton

Aug 30, 2019, 10:26:47 AM8/30/19
to vl...@googlegroups.com