help regarding profile display

Arif

Dec 6, 2023, 1:00:30 AM12/6/23
to VIVO Tech
Dear Team,

I need help regarding how to hide the faculty profile from being displayed to the public but visible to the administrator.

I am using the VIVO 1.14  version

Thanks,
Arif
Message has been deleted

Hutchinson, Alvin

Dec 14, 2023, 4:22:31 PM12/14/23
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Arif-

I am not sure I can help you with the exact situation you describe, but I will tell you what we did at the Smithsonian Institution around this problem.

We want to keep information about Smithsonian scholars long after they are no longer with the Institution, but we want the function of searching and finding expertise to be limited to active, current researchers.

So we created a separate class in our local ontology called “Inactive.” It is a sub-class of foaf:Person but limited to site admin and root user. So when you search our VIVO instance, those who have been classified as “Inactive” will not show up in the results.

You can see how this works by searching our VIVO https://profiles.si.edu for the term: coleoptera.

You will see 8-10 results returned.

But in those results you will not see former curator, Terry Erwin: https://profiles.si.edu/display/nErwint752005 who was a coleoptera expert as his profile page shows.

This has given us mixed results as these “Inactive” people are still findable if you browse the Smithsonian museum or departmental pages.

But it may be food for thought for your uses.

Best of luck,

Alvin Hutchinson

Smithsonian Libraries and Archives

Dec 15, 2023, 2:07:02 AM12/15/23
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Alvin Hutchinson,

Thank you for sharing the approach taken at the Smithsonian Institution to address the challenge of maintaining information about scholars after they leave the institution while restricting search results to active, current researchers. Creating a separate class in the local ontology called "Inactive" seems thoughtful.

So, we also want to hide the profile too to the public and visible to the admin or root user.
If the same author is a co-author then the profile automatically unlinks on the co-author link in the publication page.

If possible can you share the local ontology so it helps me some idea to create this?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Arif

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "VIVO Tech" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vivo-tech/BL1PR12MB5256CBEF9D119DCA7C9098A2CC8CA%40BL1PR12MB5256.namprd12.prod.outlook.com.

Hauschke, Christian

Dec 19, 2023, 10:14:18 AM12/19/23
to vivo...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

we have a similar approach at TIB. We created a class for former TIB members. We still keep their profiles visible if they do not revoke permission to do so. We have a custom profile for them which states at the top: “This is an archived profile. The information it contains is no longer updated.”

Example: https://vivo.tib.eu/fis/display/n0000-0002-1019-3606

This is the best solution we came up with, because former members of our institution provided their input to publications and projects, too. And they should be visible if they allow us to show their contributions.

Best

Christian