field to list all authors on articles

Bill Duncan

May 12, 2016, 1:38:37 PM5/12/16
to VIVO Tech
When adding articles to VIVO, we would like to have a text field that displays all authors for the publication. Currently, in order to add articles, we have to instantiate the an instance of the authorship class and use the relates/related by object properties to link to an author.

This does not suit our purposes b/c we do not want to semantically link a publication to all listed authors. We only want to link to authors at our institution. However, we still want to have a field (perhaps a data property?) that still shows all the authors (both at our institution and not at our institution).

Thanks,
Bill

Benjamin Gross

May 12, 2016, 1:57:57 PM5/12/16
to Bill Duncan, VIVO Tech
Hi Bill,

The standard way to do this is by linking the authorship object to a vCard instead of a foaf:Person. vCards are not linked on author lists. Here is an example of how it is displayed in VIVO: http://connect.unavco.org/individual/pub347746

If you look at the relationship diagram here you can see the authorship connected directly to the vcard:Individual.

A caveat here is the VIVO UI has lagged behind the ontology in this respect so you need to get the data in some other way, be it via the load RDF option or the Harvester or whatever. I would love to see the ‘Add Author’ form get a checkbox to add them as a vCard for the times when I need to add a single publication into VIVO and it’s easiest to do via the UI.

Benjamin

Bill Duncan

May 12, 2016, 2:22:33 PM5/12/16
to Benjamin Gross, VIVO Tech
Thanks Benjamin. The reason I had person listed is b/c of how the VIVO UI worked. I'll try to use Karma to produce the triples for upload.

Bill

Bill Duncan

May 12, 2016, 2:51:06 PM5/12/16
to Benjamin Gross, VIVO Tech
Hi Benjamin,

Can a VCARD contain multiple names? The reason I ask is that many of our publications contain a large number of authors, of which only a few are faculty members. In the link you sent me, it seems that each author would require the instantiation of a VCARD. This is the situation we are trying to avoid. We just want one field that shows all the authors, similar to what you would see in a bibliography.

Thanks,
Bill

Benjamin Gross

May 12, 2016, 3:26:53 PM5/12/16
to Bill Duncan, VIVO Tech
You are correct, you would need to create a separate vCard for each person. I suppose you could create a new data property in your local ontology… then you have something like: bibo:Article local:authorList “Person1, Person2, Person3” . The BIBO ontology also has a property called ‘authorList’ you could use: https://github.com/structureddynamics/Bibliographic-Ontology-BIBO/blob/master/bibo.owl#L326. There some information on adding properties through the UI on the wiki. You would probably also want to edit the label for the ‘authors’ faux property to say ‘authors at this institution’ or something like that. An example of what that might look like is attached.

Why don’t you want to go the vCard route? Database size?

Benjamin

Bill Duncan

May 12, 2016, 3:43:56 PM5/12/16
to Benjamin Gross, VIVO Tech
The vCard option is too much work for what we need. We would have to split the author list field (the delimiters vary between comma, space, and semicolon) and then create a new vCard for each author, which in some cases is as high as 30. Since most of those authors are not members of our institution, we do not want to maintain vCards for them. Also, we have to normalize across the various ways authors' names are represented (e.g., last name, first name; last name, first initial; last name, first and middle initial; ect.). At this point, this would require to much time to implement. Just having a field that lists the authors is adequate.

Bill

Ted.L...@thomsonreuters.com

May 12, 2016, 4:04:40 PM5/12/16
to wddu...@gmail.com, mbg...@unavco.org, vivo...@googlegroups.com

Bill,

Other VIVO sites have found the need for an “authorList” property rather than creating VCards or People for all coauthors, like what you describe. You can create a local data property in the VIVO UI to accommodate it and then generate the triples to match it in your data loading process.

Here are two examples of a similar property.

See Cited Authors vs Duke Authors:

https://scholars.duke.edu/display/pub778182

and the RDF

https://scholars.duke.edu/individual/pub778182/pub778182.ttl

At Brown, authorList vs. author:

https://vivo.brown.edu/display/n30620

https://vivo.brown.edu/individual/n30620/n30620.ttl

Ted

violeta ilik

May 12, 2016, 4:15:30 PM5/12/16
to Ted Lawless, Bill Duncan, Benjamin Gross, vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

There is a small extension of the ontology that contains the full author list as a data property. Link is here: https://github.com/vioil/DataPropeties-id

You will need to change it to your namespace. Feel free to add just that one data property in your VIVO.

Violeta

Dong Joon Lee

May 12, 2016, 6:03:00 PM5/12/16
to violeta ilik, Ted Lawless, Bill Duncan, Benjamin Gross, vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

Bill's question was also my question. I just wanted to thank to everybody.

Best,
DJ

--
Dong Joon Lee

Dong Joon Lee

Richard Outten

May 13, 2016, 9:17:04 AM5/13/16
to Ted.L...@thomsonreuters.com, wddu...@gmail.com, mbg...@unavco.org, vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill and Ted,

Thanks Ted for responding with what we did here at Duke. We get the author list in that format from Elements (based on the citation). For other Duke authors, we have real relationships (which we call Duke authors) as you can also more than one on this publication:

https://scholars.duke.edu/display/pub1092732

We added an extension for the authorList (which looks similar to what Brown and Northwestern did):

https://github.com/OIT-ADS-Web/duke_vivo_ontologies/blob/master/duke_extension.owl#L106

Thanks,
Richard

Ted.L...@thomsonreuters.com writes:

> Bill,
>
> Other VIVO sites have found the need for an “authorList” property rather than creating VCards or People for all coauthors, like what you describe. You can create a local data property in the VIVO UI to accommodate it and then generate the triples to match it in your data loading process.
>
> Here are two examples of a similar property.
>
> See Cited Authors vs Duke Authors:
>
> https://scholars.duke.edu/display/pub778182
>
> and the RDF
>
> https://scholars.duke.edu/individual/pub778182/pub778182.ttl
>
> At Brown, authorList vs. author:
>
> https://vivo.brown.edu/display/n30620
>
> https://vivo.brown.edu/individual/n30620/n30620.ttl
>
> Ted

Bill Duncan

May 13, 2016, 10:22:08 AM5/13/16
to Richard Outten, Ted.L...@thomsonreuters.com, Benjamin Gross, VIVO Tech
Thanks everyone for  your responses. I will try implement your suggestions next week.

Bill

Arif

Jan 10, 2023, 1:23:42 AM1/10/23
to VIVO Tech
Dear team,

I added this property it is showing under the document as a list of authors but the co-authorship is not working. For that how to build the co-author visualization.

Thanks,
Arif