[vitadroid] Action filtering

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Christian Kaltepoth

unread,
May 1, 2010, 3:20:59 AM5/1/10
to Vitadroid
I recently saw many comments on the Android Market complaining about
the missing filter capabilities of Vitadroid. As I'm also using
Vitadroid to manage my personal tasks, I can fully understand the
demand for such a feature.

I thought about it and came up with an idea that I want to share with
you. The idea is to create something similar to the Smart Searches of
Vitalist. Unfortunately the Smart Searches of Vitalist are not
accessible through the Vitalist API, so Vitadroid has to build
something like that from the bottom up.

This idea is that users can create Virtual Folders that would show up
in the same list as the standard folders (Inbox, Actions,...) on the
main screen. A Virtual Folder can be configured to show only a subset
of all actions, like all actions of a given project or all actions
assigned to a specific context. This would allow the user to create a
folder like "all actions with context set to '@home'" or "all actions
of project 'relocation' and high priority".

What do you think about this idea? Would this allow you to manage your
actions with Vitadroid more effectively?

I'm looking forward to your opinions.

Christian

Turnip

unread,
May 5, 2010, 11:47:55 PM5/5/10
to Vitadroid
Custom smart searches might be fine...but I'd settle for something as
simple as sorting by context/project/etc.

I didn't actually expect to see smart search functionality, but it was
surprising that I couldn't filter down by context/waiting/actions/
project/etc. Not being a developer, it seems (intuitively) to me that
those groupings should be baked into the API.

Maybe I could suggest a focus on those elements first...?


On May 1, 12:20 am, Christian Kaltepoth <christ...@kaltepoth.de>
wrote:

Christian Kaltepoth

unread,
May 9, 2010, 6:33:17 AM5/9/10
to vita...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

I've already finished a large part of the "smart search" feature. So
this will definitely be part of the next 1.3.0 release.

I also totally agree with you, that sorting is an important feature
that is currently missing in Vitadroid. I'm planing to include a
sorting option for all folders (regular and "smart search") in the
next release. This shouldn't be too complex. Anyway I'm unsure whether
a filtering option would make sense for standard folders, when the
"smart search" feature is available. In most cases a filter will be
used more than once, so it would make sense for the user to create a
smart search instead of just filtering a particular folder.

Christian
--
Christian Kaltepoth
Blog: http://chkal.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/chkal
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages