Intro

Dave Nicolette

Sep 10, 2012, 8:28:40 AM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the invitation to join the group, Yves.

Name: Dave

I visualize learning from the interesting and intelligent people whose names I see here.

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 10, 2012, 8:32:46 AM9/10/12
2012/9/10 Dave Nicolette <daveni...@gmail.com>

Thanks for the invitation to join the group, Yves.
you are welcome

Name: Dave

I visualize learning from the interesting and intelligent people whose names I see here.

and any new things you want to visualize?

Dave Nicolette

Sep 10, 2012, 10:17:29 AM9/10/12
On 9/10/12, Yves Hanoulle <Yv...@paircoaching.net> wrote:
> 2012/9/10 Dave Nicolette <daveni...@gmail.com>
>
>> Thanks for the invitation to join the group, Yves.
>
> you are welcome
>

>> Name: Dave
>>

>> I visualize learning from the interesting and intelligent people whose
>> names I see here.
>>

> and any new things you want to visualize?

The reason I didn't provide a longer answer to that question is that
the terms "visualization" and "visual management" seem to be used in a
mixture of different ways. I want to see how the group perceives
"visualization" first, so that I won't take the discussion into
uninteresting or non-useful discussions.

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 10, 2012, 11:03:28 AM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Scrambled by my Yphone

Op 10-sep.-2012 om 16:17 heeft Dave Nicolette
<daveni...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On 9/10/12, Yves Hanoulle <Yv...@paircoaching.net> wrote:
>> 2012/9/10 Dave Nicolette <daveni...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Thanks for the invitation to join the group, Yves.
>>
>> you are welcome
>>

>>> Name: Dave
>>>

>>> I visualize learning from the interesting and intelligent people whose
>>> names I see here.
>>>

>> and any new things you want to visualize?
>
> The reason I didn't provide a longer answer to that question is that
> the terms "visualization" and "visual management" seem to be used in a
> mixture of different ways. I want to see how the group perceives
> "visualization" first, so that I won't take the discussion into
> uninteresting or non-useful discussions.

Interesting, for me that looks like Things we Should discuss asap.
Being à non native english speaker, I have no idea what is the
difference You talk about.
( or I could just be plain stupid)
Either way, will you explain what is different for you?

Dave Nicolette

Sep 10, 2012, 11:17:34 AM9/10/12
On 9/10/12, Yves Hanoulle <yv...@hanoulle.be> wrote:
> Scrambled by my Yphone
>
> Op 10-sep.-2012 om 16:17 heeft Dave Nicolette
> <daveni...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

>>> you are welcome

>>> and any new things you want to visualize?
>>
>> The reason I didn't provide a longer answer to that question is that
>> the terms "visualization" and "visual management" seem to be used in a
>> mixture of different ways. I want to see how the group perceives
>> "visualization" first, so that I won't take the discussion into
>> uninteresting or non-useful discussions.
>>

> Interesting, for me that looks like Things we Should discuss asap.
> Being à non native english speaker, I have no idea what is the
> difference You talk about.
> ( or I could just be plain stupid)
> Either way, will you explain what is different for you?

Maybe I am too literal-minded about words. Anyway, here are different
things the words make me think of:

(1) "Visual management" - specifically a Lean term. Derived from the
Toyota way. Visual depictions of status throughout the workplace. A
"kanban" as used in a manufacturing environment is a visual management
tool; a "kanban board" as used in software development activities is
really in the category of (2) below.

(2) "Visualization" as used in some of the messages so far - seems to
be the agile concept of Information Radiators. Project-related or
build-related information displayed on "big visible charts" or other
media so that people can see the information without having to log
into some sort of "tool" to find it. Usually the displays are visible
from across the room and provide a lot of information at a glance.

(3) "Visualization" used in a general sense to mean getting a mental
picture of a situation; almost the same meaning as "understanding" or
"comprehending."

(4) "Visualization" in the sense of the rigorous mental discipline of
powerfully imagining a desired outcome and injecting the feeling in
oneself that one has achieved the outcome; used as a mechanism to
prepare spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally for an upcoming
challenge such as a sporting event, job interview, or life-changing
event. This is sometimes called "creative visualization."

(5) "Visualization" as a general term for the use of graphical systems
thinking tools such as Current Reality Tree or Causal Loop Diagram or
graphical modeling tools like UML diagrams.

Cheers,
Dave

Scharlau, Dr Bruce A.

Sep 10, 2012, 2:39:00 PM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Yves, thanks for the invite to join.

I teach computing science to both undergraduate and postgraduate students
and am trying to bring in more of the soft skills associated with software
development into the classroom so that students are better prepared for
life after university. As part of this I've been bringing in a number of
things: the visual aspects of service design/design thinking with empathy
maps and service blueprints built up using sticky notes. As the students
don't always have fixed rooms to work in, we're not ready for physical
boards up all of the time so some use online ones for group work.

I've also finally started to use personal kanban recently to try to bring
some order to my chaos so am using it for work on a whiteboard with sticky
notes.

I'm also generally using the whiteboard more with sticky notes to break
down problems using some of the gamestorming ideas: matrix, groupings, etc
- nothing fancy yet.

The main problem I'm trying to visualise now is how to get a better
picture of my commitments and timelines. Henryk Kniberg's talk at ALE2012
gave me some ideas, and I'll be thinking about those and how to implement
them in a similar way I guess so that I stay more on top of things, and
not have them slide so much. Yves already put up a link to his talk and
I'm thinking of slide 71 with year stretched out along the top or some
variation on this with space for what's current, what's coming up etc.
I'll look into this more in the next week or two after I move offices.

I'm also hoping to get more inspiration from others here as someone else
noted.
--
cheers,

Bruce

Dr. Bruce Scharlau
Dept. of Computing Science
Meston Building, Room 229
University of Aberdeen
Aberdeen AB24 3UE
01224 272193
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~csc228
mailto:b.sch...@abdn.ac.uk
https://twitter.com/scharlau/
__________________________________

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 11, 2012, 5:25:48 AM9/11/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Nice to see you here.
Now we have a professor amoung us. ;-)

2012/9/10 Scharlau, Dr Bruce A. <b.sch...@abdn.ac.uk>

Hi all,

Yves, thanks for the invite to join.

I teach computing science to both undergraduate and postgraduate students
and am trying to bring in more of the soft skills associated with software
development into the classroom so that students are better prepared for
life after university.

Thank you for that. I think this is really important.

As part of this I've been bringing in a number of
things: the visual aspects of service design/design thinking with empathy
maps and service blueprints built up using sticky notes.

As the students
don't always have fixed rooms to work in, we're not ready for physical
boards up all of the time so some use online ones for group work.

You might want to try with moveable whiteboard.
so you can still work with postit's, but roll theboards to a common place after they are done.

I still remember rolling a board into an elevator to go for a "I don't remember anymore what " meeting a floor up.
It was both hilarious and serious.
It showed how important the board was for that team.

[...]

cool. keep us posted.

I'm also hoping to get more inspiration from others here as someone else
noted.
--
cheers,

Bruce

Dr. Bruce Scharlau
Dept. of Computing Science
Meston Building, Room 229
University of Aberdeen
Aberdeen AB24 3UE
01224 272193
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~csc228
mailto:b.sch...@abdn.ac.uk
https://twitter.com/scharlau/
__________________________________

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 11, 2012, 5:30:11 AM9/11/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave

Lovely definitions.

I would love to see some discussions around that.

when I named the group VisualizingProblems, I on purpose did not select Visualmanagement. As I was scraed it would be limiting., but I could not explain why.

For me all 5 options are possible in this group.
Maybe a little bit less 4, but if I can find a way to visualize success to a team and it helps them to achieve that, I'm happy with that.

I guess that slide 71 of Henriks presentation, with the Dreams pictures , was partly about that.

that's me. Who else has an opinion on this?

Dave Nicolette

Sep 11, 2012, 10:26:52 AM9/11/12
On 9/11/12, Yves Hanoulle <Yv...@paircoaching.net> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> Lovely definitions.
>
> I would love to see some discussions around that.
>
> when I named the group VisualizingProblems, I on purpose did not select
> Visualmanagement. As I was scraed it would be limiting., but I could not
> explain why.
>
> For me all 5 options are possible in this group.
> Maybe a little bit less 4, but if I can find a way to visualize success to
> a team and it helps them to achieve that, I'm happy with that.

I sometimes use a crude version of creative visualization in team
coaching. Often, teams can't see a way out of their current state.
They say things like "Yes, in a perfect world, I can see how that
could work, but [long list of organizational constraints follows]".

It's sometimes helpful to encourage them to visualize a work day in
which their problems did not exist. What would such a day look like?
Feel like?

The hard part is getting them to try this without worrying about /how/
to make the problems go away. That can come later. If they can at
least visualize their target state, it helps them make a beginning.

> I guess that slide 71 of Henriks presentation, with the Dreams pictures ,
> was partly about that.
> http://blog.crisp.se/2012/08/31/henrikkniberg/everybody-wants-change-but-nobody-likes-to-be-changed
>
> that's me. Who else has an opinion on this?

Interesting slides. I think I'd enjoy a long conversation with Henrik
about these ideas. Without hearing the presentation itself, it's hard
to get much from a slide deck. But I get the impression he's going
through a stage of understanding "resistance" that I've passed
through. Some of my earlier efforts to understand "resistance,"
including workshops co-facilitated with Lasse Koskela, explored
similar ideas.

These days I tend to think of "resistance" not as a deliberate choice
by individuals, but rather as a kind of organizational friction
("resistance" as it is meant in physics). When we see organizations as
dynamic, complex systems, the observable behaviors are emergent. They
result from the dynamic interactions among the sub-systems within the
system. When a person on a development team "refuses" to do something
or believes it is "impossible" or seems to be afraid of negative
consequences, it's usually because the totality of the environment
around him/her makes the value unclear or even discourages or punishes
the desired action. It isn't usually because the individual doesn't
comprehend the potential value of the suggested change.

To bring this down to the level of single development teams, I often
find that teams are not given any slack time for professional
development, learning, or experimenting with different methods or
practices. They are expected to produce tactical deliverables 100% of
the time and they are punished when they don't do so. When we can
relieve that pressure by changing the environment so that learning and
experimentation become expected and rewarded, then we usually find the
same individuals who were "resistant" before are now perfectly happy
to try new things.

Anyway, I'm probably going on a tangent here.

> Phone 00 32 476 43 38 32
> Book: Who is agile: www.leanpub.com/WhoIsagile
> German Version: Wer ist agil: www.leanpub.com/WerIstagil
> [image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/YvesHanoulle> [image:
> LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/YvesHanoulle> [image:
> WordPress] <http://www.hanoulle.be> [image:
> SlideShare]<http://www.slideshare.net/YvesHanoulle/> [image:
> Amazon] <https://kindle.amazon.com/profile/Yves-Hanoulle/192415> [image:
> goodreads] <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5830190.Yves_Hanoulle>
> [image: Skype] YvesHanoulle
> “"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and
> become more, you are a leader." - John Quincy
> Adams<http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/860643/john-quincy-adams/if-your-actions-inspire-others-to-dream-more-learn>
> ” Get this email app!
> <http://www.wisestamp.com/apps/quotes?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_term=quotes&utm_campaign=apps>

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 11, 2012, 10:32:02 AM9/11/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com

I sometimes use a crude version of creative visualization in team
coaching. Often, teams can't see a way out of their current state.
They say things like "Yes, in a perfect world, I can see how that
could work, but [long list of organizational constraints follows]".

It's sometimes helpful to encourage them to visualize a work day in
which their problems did not exist. What would such a day look like?
Feel like?
yes "remember the future" or "solution focused" or covey's "what do you want people to say about you on your funeral " exercise
I like that

> that's me. Who else has an opinion on this?

Interesting slides. I think I'd enjoy a long conversation with Henrik
about these ideas. Without hearing the presentation itself,

the video is here: http://ale2012.alenetwork.eu/
the quality is bad.  maybe both combined is better

[...]

I think you will like Resistance as a resource from Dale Emery

To bring this down to the level of single development teams, I often
find that teams are not given any slack time for professional
development, learning, or experimenting with different methods or
practices. They are expected to produce tactical deliverables 100% of
the time and they are punished when they don't do so. When we can
relieve that pressure by changing the environment so that learning and
experimentation become expected and rewarded, then we usually find the
same individuals who were "resistant" before are now perfectly happy
to try new things.

Anyway, I'm probably going on a tangent here.

I think it's important as part of what someone else brought up: what if people don't like what they are shown?

Henrik Kniberg

Sep 12, 2012, 2:00:52 AM9/12/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com

Interesting slides. I think I'd enjoy a long conversation with Henrik
about these ideas.

I'd love to, feel free to stop by my house next time you are in Sweden :o)

PS - interesting threads in this group. Unfortunately I don't really have time to participate much at the moment.

/Henrik
--
Henrik Kniberg
http://www.crisp.se/henrik.kniberg

--
Henrik Kniberg
http://www.crisp.se/henrik.kniberg
+46 (0)70 492 5284

Henrik Kniberg

Sep 12, 2012, 2:19:04 AM9/12/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Interesting slides. I think I'd enjoy a long conversation with Henrik
about these ideas.
I'd love to, feel free to stop by my house next time you are in Sweden.  :o)

PS - interesting threads in this group. Unfortunately I don't have time to participate much at the moment.

/Henrik

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 12, 2012, 2:19:31 AM9/12/12

2012/9/12 Henrik Kniberg <h...@kniberg.com>

Interesting slides. I think I'd enjoy a long conversation with Henrik
about these ideas.

I'd love to, feel free to stop by my house next time you are in Sweden :o)

PS - interesting threads in this group. Unfortunately I don't really have time to participate much at the moment.
well you inspired me to make the group, that's already a big contribution.

Dave Nicolette

Sep 12, 2012, 7:52:11 AM9/12/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Henrik,

I'd love to come to Sweden. Hire me.

(not kidding)

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Nicolette

Sep 12, 2012, 8:01:44 AM9/12/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
On 9/11/12, Yves Hanoulle <Yv...@paircoaching.net> wrote:

> the video is here: http://ale2012.alenetwork.eu/
> the quality is bad. maybe both combined is better

I'll watch that when I can find a spare minute. This week is pretty hectic.

> I think you will like Resistance as a resource from Dale Emery
> http://dhemery.com/articles/resistance_as_a_resource/

Yes, that's good stuff. Dale participated in one of the resistance
workshops Lasse and I facilitated, and he had some great feedback for
us.

> I think it's important as part of what someone else brought up: what if
> people don't like what they are shown?

It's true that some people literally "don't like" things like close
collaboration, pairing, TDD, compressing analysis/coding/testing, and
so forth. Everyone has their own preferences. But I think the general
case is not a matter of "not liking" things, but rather of being
constrained by organizational issues - more of a systems thinking sort
of concept of "resistance". When the constraints are lifted, the
majority of people seem to "like what they are shown," especially when
we introduce new ideas in the context of how the new ideas will help
each individual.

Dave