Let me introduce myself

Pierre Fauvel

Sep 10, 2012, 7:18:31 AM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com

I am Pierre Fauvel, Agile Coach (with a bias towards Lean & Kanban).

I have experiences in technical field, functionnal analysis, management field.

Currently, I help enterprises deploy agile on projects, and transforming into agile in the process.

I first saw visual management on a project in 2004.

I found that strange, and did not see the point.

It always takes time for me to grasp innovations ;-)

I progressively used this approach, first with stress (it is strange to stick a post it

to the wall in front of everyone). It took then place in my toolbox.

A colleague, Pierrick Revol did recently a very nice workshop with representant

of tree scrum teams, with a post it for each person involved, to show the complexity

of the program.

I like a lot as a workshop the mix between "Remember the Future" and "Speed Boat"

I think it works especially because of the use of post-its,

to manage the ideas flow.

Tof, your patterns were very funny and very true. Retrospectively, I can see them everywhere.

On the personnal side, I use post its to plan (and replan) our stays abroad, adjusting to change in requirements

(Honey, I would like to go again to the beach) or impediments (rain). We enjoy our trips

much more than if we tried to follow a plan.

As a presentation writer, I used massively xmind and tend to migrate to post its.

As a science fiction writer, I try to use a mix of visual management and twitter to

manage the huge number of ideas running through my old head. Just wait until

I wrote the book to know if its a good idea ;-)

I have some questions open.

As a coach, I still have to sensibilize the team and the product owner to the goal

of the burndown. They have to learn that this visual management is also a call to action.

The Wip limit is more explicit.

But I think things could be even more efficient.

As an agile transformation team, we try to manage transversal actions with post its,

it is a failure. We only meet one hour per week, the post its are deprecated.

The visual management is only ok for the project status, not for the actions.

Perhaps a thrid axis would be : as a coach, I like to go and see my teams,

and their visual management. I manage to get quite a good glimpse of the situation

just by looking and the post its, their number, their position, the number of dots on them, ...

How could make sure that the management gets the same information, without killing the freedom of the team ?

Thanks Yves for this initiative (one more !)

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 10, 2012, 7:49:23 AM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pierre,

What a great introduction.
You made me realize I did not put a timestamp on when I first met visualisations.
It was probably the first time I played the XPGame. Which was probably around 2002 or 2003

You also bring up an important point: making something new visible can be scarry.
- scarry because it feels silly (something as a coach I have to remember as, I never really cared much about how people think of me.)
- scarry because others might not like the message and thus attack your visualisation.

1) About problems with a burndown I am interested to hear what other say about that, in my experience, I can only get good results if the team tries to create it themselves for a few sprints.
(and doing that is not equal to good results, but not doing so is equal to getting bad results)

2) say more about your agile transformatiom team

3) first wild idea (that I stole from Jurgen) is take a picture of the board every x days and show that pictures in a progress report

>Thanks Yves for this initiative (one more !)
you are welcome
In my ALE2012 presentation, I had 13 projects. as lots of people think that's a bad number I needed a 14 one...
No seriously, I wanted to limit my new idea', but this idea had a so big HELL YEAH to it, I had to start it.

Of course, by using a mailinglist, I hope all of you will be very active and you all make this wurth it...
(with already 27 people who joined, I have a good feeling for this ;-) )

Yves

Pierre Fauvel

Sep 10, 2012, 8:19:08 AM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Our Agile Transformation Team is made of 6 coaches, some permanent.
Each coach coaches 3-4 projects.
Usually the coach is among his/her teams.
Thus the coach don't speak that much together (except with beers, but then it is not to talk about the job).
We have two activities :
- the projects (before they start, during their life). For that visual management is quite clear. It does not change often,
it is a support for our weekly coaching review, its fine.
- transversal activities : define agility for quality assurance people, write slideware, write trainings, define the role of the coach in the enterprise, ...
For that, each of us takes subjects and works, finally quite alone. Nicolas started to put postits on the wall for the presentation he was writing,
that's a nice move.

When the cadency of the meeting is the week (not the day), what tasks size should we consider ?
When I finish one, the other ones will probably be outdated. Is it worth to identify them all ?

We also tried trello for pair coaching, it was not appropriate. Needed to talk to the other coach.
Thanks Pierre,

mheusser

Sep 10, 2012, 10:00:30 AM9/10/12
to VisualizingProblems

Hello everyone.

My name is Matt Heusser. I spent 10 years as a programmer before
becoming a Technical Project Manager, then QA lead, now independent
test consultant/writer.

As a programmer, I often saw sub-optimizations in system performance,
and, worse, people actively suggesting sub-optimizations in the name
of "process improvement." It bugged me.

So I read. A lot. One of the earlier books I read was Eli Goldratt's
"The Goal." It made sense to me, but I had problems explaining it to
people. They didn't "get it." More likely, I failed to explain it.

Weinberg's Software Quality Management, Volume I: Systems Thinking,
where he uses a visual pattern language to abstract system forces. It
was really good and made an impact on me. I found that when I used
visualizations to explain things to people, they "got it."

For example, one piece flow and kanban.

I spent about half of 2011 and half of 2012 consulting for a scrum
team that transitioned to kanban. I don't think they would have made
the transition without first visualizing the flow and seeing the
bigger picture.

So yes, I am a fan of visualization, even if I stink at it. :-)

regards,

--
Matthew Heusser,
Principal Consultant, Excelon Development

Yves Hanoulle

Sep 10, 2012, 11:08:53 AM9/10/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I find it interesting that jerry's systems thinking helped you , it's
for me the most difficult of jerry's books.
( was years ago that I read it, maybe I needs a reread)

Looks like we have lots of stinking people here ( is that a word in English)
Cool.
Then we don't have to worry about eachothers clothes ...
( probably this joke sounds worse then I Intend, anyway it means, hey
we are all in this together, let's find out how we can visualize
things better)

Scrambled by my Yphone

Op 10-sep.-2012 om 16:00 heeft mheusser <matt.h...@gmail.com> het
volgende geschreven: