Visualizing Agile from the PO perspective

Henrik Kniberg

Oct 26, 2012, 2:40:09 AM10/26/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Here's a 1 day PO course compressed into a 15 min animated video:

Had a lot of fun with my drawing tablet :o)

Staffan Nöteberg

Oct 26, 2012, 2:55:18 AM10/26/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Had lot of fun while watching it this morning :-)

Brilliant!

Mary Poppendieck

Oct 26, 2012, 10:10:01 AM10/26/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com

Very nice, Henrik!

Mary Poppendieck

Author of Lean Software Development Series

www.poppendieck.com

+01-952-934-7998

Dirk Devriendt

Oct 27, 2012, 9:36:37 AM10/27/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Very informative and insightful; a must-see for all aspiring PO's!

I do have one small item I have a remark about...
While I like very much how you added a dimension to the building the right thing / building the thing right tension and put it in a Venn diagram, I do not quite agree with the roles influencing the equilibrium.
Responsibilities will vary of course, depending on the company structure etc. (e.g. the PO might have financial responsibility or the coach may have been called in to find that sweet spot in the middle), but I have invariably found that it is the people living with the (short-mid term) resulting pain that try to pull the balance towards them:
- for building the thing right, that would indeed be: the dev / QA / ops team
- for building the right thing, that would be the end users (or indeed a PO that is skewed towards pleasing the stakeholders)
- for building it fast, in my experience it is most often some financial or timing pressure (this may be "management", a coach, an unnamed elephant in the room, general shortsightedness or even the PO)

I thank you for making me think about this (and for a great video) :-)
Dirk

2012/10/26 Henrik Kniberg <h...@kniberg.com>

Cuan Mulligan

Oct 29, 2012, 9:25:04 AM10/29/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
hey Henrik,

Fantastic work...really enjoyed the format for your presentation, very engaging.

I was wondering what app you used to create this presentation ?

Cheers
cuan
__________________________
CTI qualified Value Coach
M: +447748147974
Want to know more about me ?
"The value of experimentation is not the trying - it's the trying again after the experiment fails."

Henrik Kniberg

Oct 29, 2012, 11:37:02 AM10/29/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I used a Wacom Intuos 5 drawing tablet, and ArtRage (drawing program), and Screenflow (screen capture & audio recording program). Awesome set of tools, will definitely use the same next time!

The video took about 2 days to make. Most of the time was spent on eliminating waste and fiddling with details to make the video as short as possible, and to get tight sync between the talking and drawing and gesturing.

The music was made a few months earlier, in my home studio using garageband and some instruments (drums, bass, keyboard, half-acoustic guitar) plugged into a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 sound card). Used an imac for both music and video recording.

/Henrik

Cuan Mulligan

Michael Dubakov

Oct 29, 2012, 12:14:16 PM10/29/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Great video!
I enjoyed it. Very condensed and right to the point.
Vienne diagramme is the same I wrote almost 2 years ago :)

I wish multi-team case elaborated in more details.
Maybe in a separate video? ;)

Henrik Kniberg

Oct 29, 2012, 1:22:29 PM10/29/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I was wondering who I stole the venn diagram from. Thanks :o)

/Henrik

Pierre Neis

Oct 29, 2012, 1:57:31 PM10/29/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Henrik,

This work is very inspiring for me. After several boring "kamishibai" in Lean organisation, I was researching to go to the source of story telling in a picture.

You made the scenario... thanks

Pierre E. Neis Scrum/Lean Kanban Improver
Senior Management Advisor

WE & Co , the Collab Lab
Mobile: (+352) 661 SCRUMS
Luxembourg - Brussels - Paris - Zürich - London - Amsterdam - Barcelona - Saigon

Agenda: http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

Blogger Twitter LinkedIn SlideShare XING Google Plus Viadeo
Contact me: Skype pierre.neis Google Talk pierr...@gmail.com

Hans Brattberg

Oct 29, 2012, 2:21:28 PM10/29/12
to visualizi...@googlegroups.com
Great article!
(And Henrik, you can forget my question (on another list) on where you found that diagram :-)
/Hans