Can BCD do this when System Image reinstalled?

Duncan

Nov 5, 2016, 4:19:47 PM11/5/16
to Visual BCD
Not completely sure if your program can do this:
I lose the ability to dual boot (the prompt does not appear as before) if I reinstall my drive/partition image containing XP.
Previously I have installed a version of Win7 after using XP for years and then I got the dual boot.
But if I reinstall any image of XP (including one made after Win7 was installed) I lose that dual boot ability.

Would just running BCD correct this?  Would I then run it while in Win7 (Which I can force to boot by removing the drive for XP temporarily).
Thanks.

boyans.net

Nov 6, 2016, 2:37:26 PM11/6/16
to Visual BCD
Hi Duncan,

If you have Win 7 on disk and can boot to it
AND
you have Windows XP on any other partition (eventually restored from backup)
you can add a boot entry to BCD for Windows XP by using
"Dual-boot Repair tool for Windows 10 (and earlier)".

There is a special option "Fix XP boot" - click it,
then select Window directory of Windows XP using browser dialog,
click OK.
Done.

(The procedure above will add a boot entry for XP in BCD and eventually fix Windows XP boot related files if necessary)

That would be all.

If you have other questions or there is something unclear don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Bo