Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 problem

Soter

Jul 6, 2017, 2:29:26 AM7/6/17
to Visual BCD

On dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 on separate drives, the Windows 10 kills System Restore Points upon restart.

As a matter of fact I already have done all the relevant recommendations on the subject, I have ran the "Dual-boot Repair Windows 10" applet too, and yet the problem remains...

I have also checked each OS settings that there is sufficient space allocated for them to be created in the first place.

Please note that when booting into Windows 7, its Restore Points are intact. On the contrary, booting into Windows 10, the Restore Points have been vanished.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Soter

boyans.net

Jul 7, 2017, 12:35:37 AM7/7/17
to Visual BCD
Hi Soter,

When dual booting (general advice):

1) Disable fast boot in power options in Windows 10.

2) Do not use in Windows 7 the option for cleaning of restore points as it cleans on all accessible drives and OS's. Windows 10 is selective as it cleans only its own restore points.

3) Do not use automatic defragmentation, or any automatic tools for defrag/optimize/whatever op on all drives. Only manual operations so you know what you are doing!

If problem persists don't hesitate to ask.

Bo Yans

Scooter

Jul 25, 2017, 8:35:17 PM7/25/17
to Visual BCD
So it's advisable to turn off fast boot in Windows 10, am I to infer that I also need to disable fast boot in my BIOS setup?

boyans.net

Jul 26, 2017, 11:32:31 AM7/26/17
to Visual BCD
Fast boot means only disk is read in greater chunks (if small files are loaded this does not play obviously).

If boot files are optimized - they are in right order, then they can be loaded faster.

EFI boot is by default much faster as (I think) disk is read by 1MB (or greater) chunks instead of 512 bytes chunks (default for BIOS firmware).

Firmware is either BIOS or EFI.

EFI firmware has a module which emulates BIOS so you can boot both ways on newer computers.

Answer to question:

I don't know what every firmware maker means with "fast boot" exactly.
I don't know if there is a standard "fast boot" definition ?