Windows 7 will not boot without WRE cd in drive

Mikesin

Jan 31, 2016, 1:41:52 AM1/31/16
to Visual BCD
After a recent Windows 7 upgrade from Vista which I no longer want to use I am left with the above problem. If I attempt to boot without WRE cd in drive I see message" error \windows\system32\winload.exe ......status 0XC0000428 .....windows cannot verify digital signature "
I have a simple config with no dual boot. BCDedit shows me that the boot manager device field partition is set to E and boot loader has partition set to C.

Will changing boot manager to C (which is how my other win 7 PC is set) be likely to resolve this issue?

Thanks

boyans.net

Feb 1, 2016, 10:09:03 AM2/1/16
to Visual BCD
The problem seems to be that boot manager and winload.exe are different versions.
Usually this error happens when boot manager is an older version (therefore cannot check signature of winload.exe).

To fix:

1.) see in diskpart.exe which partition is active (say it is partition Z:)
(you can map by selecting partition and using assign)

Fix 2: Mark partition as active using diskpart.exe

2.) simple command to fix boot environment:

BCDBOOT C:\WINDOWS /S Z:

where C: drive is where Windows is installed, Z: is active partition (change drive letters in command to reflect your drives mappings)

See also how to do offline repair of system files: (and other fixes when system does not boot)

Mikesin

Feb 2, 2016, 1:25:39 AM2/2/16
to Visual BCD
Thanks for reply. I am still unsure of what to do. I have used admininstraiton tools to produce a screen  shot of the disk arrangement which to me looks wrong - PNG image attached - disk 0 is only used for storing data (music and video) whereas disk 1 is my Win 7 (with old vista) installation  - disk 0 possibly has the remnants of an old Xp system on it..

So from the information supplied could you give me an idiots ( I ammore of an idioit than your earlier repsonse assumed !) step by step guide to resolving my problem. Having just spent several days rebuilding the Win 7 system i do not want ot trash it again . many thanks
disk mngment screen HOMETV.png

Mikesin

Feb 2, 2016, 2:04:18 AM2/2/16
to Visual BCD
UPDATE - ave changed boot disk priority in BIOS so now does not need WRE cd in drive to successfully boot into Win7 - still shows boot manager menu though so guess I will have to do a BCDedit /delete to get rid of that phase of booting ?

Mikesin

Feb 2, 2016, 12:40:25 PM2/2/16
to Visual BCD
Sorted - bcdedit got rid of xp boot loader and she fires up just fine now -thanks

boyans.net

Feb 14, 2016, 1:37:26 PM2/14/16
to Visual BCD
Good to hear you sorted the problem yourself!