Dual win7 "merged"

lennart lennartsson

Jan 28, 2018, 2:14:05 PM1/28/18
to Visual BCD
Hi!

I used DriveImage XML to make a full backup of my OS in case I needed. Now I wan´t to use it. I restored the image to another drive. The result is two drives with nearly identical OS:es (windows 7 home). I added a boot entry for the new drive and booth OS:es are bootable. But the weird problem is that they share a lot of things. Things, like files on the desktop, are present on both operating systems. They should not share these as the backup is several months old. I first added the boot entry manually, but then I tried repairing with Visual BCD.

Can someone tell me what is happening?

Regards

boyans.net

Oct 16, 2019, 8:00:16 PM10/16/19
to Visual BCD
I suspect some shortcuts, e.g. "Desktop", are the same as you have two identical OS's side by side. For example "C:" is a shortcut for the partition where the loaded OS is installed. This is also called a "drive letter" or simply "drive". Every path, e.g. "C:\Users\yourUserName\Desktop\" should be relative to C: but it could be also optimized as disk partition absolute address of folder for fast access. Usually you can move easily regular folders by drag and drop, but for moving special folders/directories you have to use some separate procedure so the OS "knows" that a special folder was moved and can amend the shortcut accordingly.