Stuck in UEFI / BIOS mode - How Do I get back to Windows?

MadMonk

Jan 24, 2017, 10:55:31 PM1/24/17
to Visual BCD

My desktop PC wont  boot to Windows  after making an adjustment to BIOS with Visual BCD.

History -

backed up entire C: drive

Installed SSD into 1st SATA port

used Macrium  to properly clone Windows from C:  Drive to SSD (E: drive)

removed documents & videos from E: drive

           Apps run smoothly from SSD  but is it booting from here?

looked up ASUS UEFI  settings / made changes:

  CSM > Enabled

  Secure Boot > Disabled (Deleted Platform Keys)

SSD drive now visible

EZ mode > switched Boot Priority

Saved / Exited

UEFI >

restored CSM & Secure Boot settings

Saved / Exited

checked on UEFI settings -  priority has resorted back to original C: Drive

ACHI was checked (not IDE)

repeat of Boot Priority change

Noticed that  although P1 - SSD was priority,  Windows Boot Manger was assigned to P2 Toshiba drive

SOLUTION?:

Installed VisualBCD -

If I CLICK ON

VisualBCD app  -OR-

    (WITHIN THE APP) CLICK ON

     {fwbootmgr} OR

     Edit Boot Menu >>

“Error Message -
    RELOAD STORE - BCD CHANGED BY EXTERNAL PROCESS!!”

THEN-

BootManager

changed to :bootmgr} > Elements > ApplicationDevice >

\Device\Haddisk\Volume4(E:)   - FROM C:

———

NOW  -

UEFI BOOT MENU:

  • P1 SSD 850 EV0 500GB
  • P2: Toshiba DT01ACA200
  • GENERIC.. USB
  • GENERIC..
  • GENERIC..
  • GENERIC..
  • P4: DVD
  • Windows Boot Manger

———

NOW:

Windows Boot Manager - is a category by itself - unattached to either drive.

computer reboots back to BIOS / UEFI

upon manually powering off & on shows the ASUS loading screen for about 3 seconds and then it goes straight top the BIOS.

ASUS claimed they don't have a recovery or  ISO file for Windows 8..blah, blah -  you used 3rd-party software, blah..

Ordered and waiting on Windows  8.1 All-in-One recovery DVD..

NOT GUARANTEED - looking for other solutions in the meantime...

I cannot access VisualBCD right? or  Can I ?

How Do I get back to Windows?

boyans.net

Jan 27, 2017, 4:22:46 AM1/27/17
to Visual BCD
Please read Repair Windows Boot and Repair Windows BCD.

1. Create Windows 8.1 DVD/USB
2. Disable CSM!
3. Boot DVD/USB (EFI way)
4. If EFI System partition(ESP) on SSD is not mapped to a drive letter map it using diskpart.exe
5. Say ESP was mapped to Z:

bcdboot c:\windows /s Z: /f UEFI

assuming c:\windows is Windows installation on SSD.

Command above SHOULD FIX BOOT.

You can add a bootloader for every OS using bcdboot.exe!

Please post back outcome of operation.