Help needed for Windows Locked / Reagentc repair

Baldydad

Aug 30, 2015, 5:07:40 AM8/30/15
to Visual BCD

Big thanks for the excellent guide which got me out of "the drive where windows is installed is locked" loop and saved me from re-install disaster.

After system was up and "healthy" I attempted to perform the Reagentc routine, the disable command brought back a message "Windows RE is already disabled" and when I performed the enable routine "Unable to update Boot Configuration Data."

I did a new boot from the Win 8.1 USB stick and sure enough the menu for features was missing.

Is there a way to obtain any missing "files" & transfer them or another fix advised?

Quote / instruction from guide:

""Note:

There was a small drawback however after using bcdboot - the "Repair your computer" in advanced boot options on F8 key for the repaired loader (and boot menu entry) was missing but that was easy to solve with just two commands on command prompt (from a running Windows 8 VHD system in my case):

ReAgentC /disable
ReAgentC /enable

And everything was as it was before going into trouble.""

boyans.net

Feb 22, 2016, 11:00:40 AM2/22/16
to Visual BCD
Hi,

I will write an article on this with detailed steps as sometimes
ReAgentC /disable
ReAgentC /enable
is not enough to recreate recovery links.

The original recovery files are in install.wim in for every Windows distribution (Window 7/8/10).

The recovery files can be extracted using dism.

Then the recovery .wim can be placed in a recovery folder(if it was deleted by mistake).

Then you can use ReagentC with parameters to setup recovery correctly.
See help file for ReagentC.

Bo