which version of Dual Boot Repair to use ?

JoceFromFrance

Jun 1, 2014, 3:11:56 PM6/1/14
to visua...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I'm using Windows 7. I have XP in dual boot choice at starting, with the native Windows utility.

I'm thinking about adding Windows 8.1 to this multiboot.

Visual BCD Editor, 9.3.1 comes with a version of Dual Boot Repair that doesn't seem to be the last one (update for Windows 8.1)

Which one should I use ? the one that comes with Visual BCD Editor ? Or should I download the latest version (update for Windows 8.1) ?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Joce.

boyans.net

Jun 2, 2014, 4:52:14 PM6/2/14
to visua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joce,

Note - XP cannot be booted from UEFI.
You can triple boot XP + Win7 + Win8 only on BIOS firmware and MBR style disks.

I assume you have either one MBR disk with W7+XP and add Win8 to a free partition
or add another disk(again MBR disk!) with Windows 8.

If you install Windows 8.1 after having Windows 7 and XP it will pick up the current setup,
install itself as default OS and on boot you would have three boot choices in menu:
Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP.

If you have another disk with Windows 8 and want to bind it to existing boot menu(W7+XP)
you have to do the following:

On BIOS - active partition, first disk should be updated with Windows 8 boot manager
and an entry for Windows 8 should be added to Windows BCD (on active partition, first disk)

I think that as well as Dual-boot Repair in 0.9.3.1 as well as the new version could do this.

Dual-boot Repair/Automatic Repair in your case this would add Windows 8 to existing boot menu(W7+XP)
and update boot manager.

All the best
Bo