use dbr-1.3.0.0 to remove boot traces of macrium?

Lester

Feb 20, 2016, 7:01:28 PM2/20/16
to visua...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  Will dbr-1.3.0.0 work to remove traces of macrium?  I see in multiple postings that people are having an impossible time to truly remove Macrium after it is installed.  Even suggestions to reinstall and then uninstall fail.

Under System -> Notifications & actions, I see Macrium Reflect .. set to off, but this started my examination of my Thinkpad Carbon X1 Touch Windows 10 Pro x64 PC.  I had briefly tried, and uninstalled, Free Macrium almost a year ago, and I recall that it had set up sort of a dual boot on the startup screen.  I think it is still there, and as far as I am concerned it is software getting older and riper for trouble later.  I cannot find any traces of Macrium on my PC, e.g., using my locate under Cygwin running as Administrator.

I went into the Registry with regedit and removed one macrium folder, but two others could not be removed, even after a reboot.  I also ran CCleaner, but it did nothing.

My concerns about using the appealing one-click dbr-1.3.0.0 are:
(a) If I run Bitlocker on my C: and (external) D: drives, will this mess up my bitlocker settings.
(b) My C: drive is a Thinkpad standard SSD.  Is this OK.
(c) I see that DualBootRepair.exe has a time stamp of Jul 14 2015, but all other files are from 2012.  I just want to be sure this is OK to use on the latest Windows !0 Pr x64.

Below are some locations of boot.sdi on my system (paths in unix format from Cygwin).

Thanks.

Lester

/cygdrive/c/ESD/Windows/boot/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/Boot/DVD/EFI/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/Boot/DVD/PCAT/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/SysWOW64/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/WinSxS/amd64_microsoft-windows-b..environment-dvd-efi_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_61cd2fae2eda5034/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/WinSxS/amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nvironment-dvd-pcat_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_269d69bbdad5dcf2/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/WinSxS/amd64_microsoft-windows-winre-recoverytools_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_61d36ccd1b807d99/boot.sdi
/cygdrive/c/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft-windows-winre-recoverytools_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_05b4d14963230c63/boot.sdi

boyans.net

Feb 22, 2016, 10:10:20 AM2/22/16
to Visual BCD
Hi Lester,

In the beginning - I have only positive impressions from Macrium reflect. Why not update to latest version?

Now to the problem - you want to remove traces from Macrium in BCD (boot configuration data) so it does not show in boot menu.

This can be done with Visual BCD Editor - it displays whole BCD contents in explorer like view.
(use version 0.9.0.1 for Windows 8.1/10)
On left side you see all loaders and other objects.
Selecting an object you see on right side its elements.

To delete an (Macrium) loader - select object and then type "del" key - program will ask for confirmation.

Dual-boot Repair uses Windows utilities/calls to accomplish every task so it is Bitlocker save.

DualBootRepair.exe can be seen as a master application which decides what is present and what has to be done then calls Windows utilities, don't worry they are "old" - Windows utilities are fine as boot sector format and BCD format has not changed since Vista/Windows 7.

boot.sdi is just a "driver" and is usually placed next to every .wim file and also in Windows system directory there are a few copies - no problem to have tens of boot.sdi on computer. Relevant boot.sdi files are linked by "device objects" - see in Visual BCD Editor lower part of object tree.
See http://windows7boot.blogspot.bg/2010/11/windows-7-vhd-boot.html for details on wim/boot.sdi /recovery connections.

Best wishes
Bo