Need help... dualboot w10 with w10 (dumb)

MiSFiT203

Dec 8, 2016, 11:00:06 PM12/8/16
to Visual BCD
this is actually a dual-boot repair tool 10 question.

thought i could do dualboot win 10 with win 10, found out the hard way i cant. now im stuck on new windows 10 partition. I need to get rid of it and go back to the old.

is there a way when i do F: drive MBR repair that i can break the MBR of my current C: drive. so i can reboot from my old windows 10 again?

Everytime i do a repair and change my windows 10 choice in advance startup options, i always end up back at new win partition on boot.

i should have just dualbooted windows 8.1 but didnt want to deal with annoying update to 10 notifications.

Thanks in advance.

MiSFiT203

Dec 9, 2016, 1:41:02 AM12/9/16
to Visual BCD
ok... the so-called genius in me came up with this brilliant plan to install windows 8.1, delete the partition of the unwanted windows 10 and then use dualboot repair to fix the MBR for the drive with windows 10 that i need.

epic fail.

tried using easeus partition master 11.9 to fix the MBR as well. no luck.

guess i'm screwed. huh

boyans.net

Dec 10, 2016, 2:10:46 PM12/10/16
to visua...@googlegroups.com
You can dual, triple, multi boot Windows 10 with Windows 10.

As already said "Automatic Repair" fixes the booting to latest Windows OS (Windows Vista to Windows 10) on your computer.

If you have only Windows XP / Server 2003 installed you can fix booting to either system using "Fix XP/2003 boot" option.

In the current implementation the "Automatic Repair" option does not fix the booting of all installed Windows systems - it fixes the booting only of the latest Windows OS installed on your computer. For fine tuning Windows boot and eventually fixing the booting of other installed Windows systems (Windows XP to Windows 10) you should use Visual BCD Editor (Visual BCD Editor runs on Windows Vista and later).

So (if you want to have two Windows 10 installed)

1. Install Windows 10 again in place of Windows 8.1

2. Run Dual-boot Repair 10, "Automatic Repair".

 - this should fix boot configuration to latest version of Windows 10.

3. In Dual-boot Repair 10, "Repair BCD" select the other Windows 10 partition and confirm.

Now there should be two "Windows 10" boot entries in boot menu.

To change text of one boot entry you can use Visual BCD Editor:

click on entry on left side, then type "F2" key and change text

(alternatively edit loader title after dbl-click on "Description" on right side).

You can try also dual-boot Windows 8 + Windows 10 using same procedure.

"RepairBCD" puts the selected OS as first in boot sequence.

To change order of OS's edit {bootmgr} object in Visual BCD Editor:

Click on left side {bootmgr}, then dbl-click "DisplayOrder" on right side.

Use Up, Down to move entries in displayed dialog.

That should be all.

Good luck!

MiSFiT203

Dec 10, 2016, 5:06:16 PM12/10/16
to Visual BCD
thanks for reply..

good post, saved the link.

i've spent past 2 days weeding thru what i wanted to save from failed windows 10 partition. think i saved what i needed.

but this should still come in handy.

i think im gonna start both installations from scratch.  i lost a 2 TB external hard drive last month. was horrible, i lost so much with it.
but aside from all i lost, i also lost room to work with. which is nerve-racking. i keep trying to make a partition to install windows on just big enough for
a few games i play, and then keep realizing i should have went bigger. it almost feels like playing that old picture game with the tiles, where one tile is missing
and you keep pushing the tiles around one space at a time trying to finish the picture lol. i just dont want to give to much space to this drive.

i had bought a new 4 TB hard drive last year cause i knew i was gonna lose that hard drive, but turned out i can only use half of that drive
cause of my bios and unfortunately having a motherboard replaced wasnt something i could also afford. sucks having all this extra HDD space that i need and cant use.
sucks even more that i lost 1000s of pics from my daughters 13 years of life on that hard drive that buying the new one was supposed to prevent.

ok i went off topic...
anyways, thanks again, i'll give this another go when i feel up to it. i've spent 2 days playing technical, need a break lol

cusanus...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2020, 7:22:48 AM8/2/20
to Visual BCD
A bit to the side here, I can't run Visual BCD on my WIndows 10. I get the message RELOAD STORE-BCD CHANGED BY EXTERNAL PROCESS! I'm not then able to make a multi boot menu and get this message again.

Any ideas.

boyans.net

Feb 6, 2021, 6:48:37 AM2/6/21
to Visual BCD
Ignore the message ;)
Use the recommended version of the tool!