ANN: VisPy 0.10.0 released

dho...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2022, 2:17:58 PM4/21/22
to vispy
Hi all,

VisPy 0.10.0 has been released! This is a small feature release with a few key highlights being:

* Depth information is now set properly in some VolumeVisual modes
* New GL_MIN/GL_MAX blending function support
* New ComplexImageVisual for visualizing complex number arrays
* New cutoff thresholds for mip/minip modes in the VolumeVisual
* Various performance, bug, and documentation fixes

A special thanks to the 4 new contributors who contributed to this release:

* dsansby
* jawjay
* olinickalls
* PydPiper

Thanks everyone for your help on this one. More information and links can be found below.

What is VisPy?
--------------

VisPy is a Python library for interactive scientific visualization that is designed to be fast, scalable, and easy to use. VisPy leverages the computational power of modern Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) through the OpenGL library to display very large datasets. Applications of VisPy include:

High-quality interactive scientific plots with millions of points.
Direct visualization of real-time data.
Fast interactive visualization of 3D models (meshes, volume rendering).
OpenGL visualization demos.
Scientific GUIs with fast, scalable visualization widgets (Qt or Jupyter Notebook via jupyter_rfb).

See the Gallery and many other example scripts on the VisPy website (http://vispy.org/).

Upgrading
---------

VisPy supports Python 3.x on Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows. VisPy's heavy use of the GPU means that users will need to have modern and up-to-date video drivers for their system. VisPy can use one of many backends, see the documentation for details. We strive to keep backwards compatibility with older versions of VisPy, but interfaces are still being designed to best serve our users. As such, some things may have changed that break your existing usage. See the Release Notes (linked below) for more information on what has changed and contact the VisPy developers for help with any problems you run into.

Links
-----

GitHub: https://github.com/vispy/vispy
Website: http://vispy.org/
Gitter (for chat): https://gitter.im/vispy/vispy
Release Notes: https://github.com/vispy/vispy/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md

Contributing

Help is always welcome. See our Contributor's Guide for information on how you can participate:

https://vispy.org/dev_guide/contributor_guide.html

Thanks,
Dave