missing values imported attributes

Jennifer Hauck

May 15, 2019, 8:54:17 AM5/15/19
to visone-users

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my imported attribute list. Some of the values are not transfered from the excel table, the table in Visone indicates (no value).
Looks like it appears more often when there is a ´ or `or ^ in the names in the line; but the not transfered values are not the names but just numbers. In a excel with less columns there were less (no value)s and I don't know why.

Hope I could describe it in a proper way. Could anybody help me out? Thanks already in advance.

Best regards, Jenny

Felix Schönenberger

May 15, 2019, 9:38:13 AM5/15/19
to visone...@googlegroups.com
Sounds a bit like a quoting issue, maybe in combination with encoding. Can
you mail me the csv with which this occurs? Just a few lines should be enough
to debug it.

Jennifer Hauck

May 20, 2019, 11:52:22 AM5/20/19
to visone-users
Hey Felix,

thank you for the fast response. Attached is the csv, hope this can help. Due to sending it back and forth and saving it in different versions the values kind of changed (column H-L, A-E). The names (column A and H) which are written in a strange way appear in the right way in Visone. Hope this makes any sense to you.

Best regards

google groups Visone_.xlsx

Felix Schönenberger

May 20, 2019, 1:53:47 PM5/20/19
to visone...@googlegroups.com
On 19-05-20 17:52, jenn...@gmail.com wrote with possible deletions:
> thank you for the fast response. Attached is the csv,
It is an xlsx, so values will still depend on how I export it to csv. Can you
send me a csv that I can directly import and that fails to import correctly?

> Due to sending it back and forth and saving it in different versions the
> values kind of changed (column H-L, A-E). The names (column A and H) which
> are written in a strange way appear in the right way in Visone. Hope this
> makes any sense to you.
Yes, but I can import both blocks without any errors and I get what is in the
file. I do not see how visone should treat the file differently. There is a
lot of mojibake, but that can only be resolved on your side.

Jennifer Hauck

Jun 6, 2019, 6:59:03 AM6/6/19
to visone-users

Hey Felix, sorry for the delay. There was a problem with posting.Of course, you're totally right. Sorry for sending the wrong format in the first place. Except for line 3 the values from column B-E are not imported.

Thanks for your hints. Togehter with your other answer, could it be a simple problem of my csv-saving format/excel version then?
Best regards

Jennifer Hauck

Jun 6, 2019, 7:12:42 AM6/6/19
to visone-users

Don't know why, but I'm not able to send you a csv, so I uploaded it in Dropbox instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3xb2t06xnepokb/attributes%20ggv.csv?dl=0
Hope it's available for you

Felix Schönenberger

Jun 7, 2019, 7:44:41 AM6/7/19
to visone...@googlegroups.com
On 19-06-06 12:59, jenn...@gmail.com wrote with possible deletions:
> Except for line 3 the values from column B-E are not imported.
And I guess you join with column A so that is everything really. Strange that
line 3 is read.

> could it be a simple problem of my csv-saving format/excel version then?
I doubt that it is so simple. Since the data is recognized and read correctly
the problem is likely to happen while joining the imported attributes onto the
existing network (which I do not have, so can not check this).

My advice, do not rely on human readable identifiers stored strange encoding.
Create a numeric id (or plain ascii should be save) to perform the join on.
Then, even with lots of sending mail back and forth across different systems
using different encodings, you can perform the import/join. For now you could
e.g. duplicate your node id and join key column and from that remove every
invalid character (validating that no duplicate keys are crated).

Jennifer Hauck

Jul 25, 2019, 5:52:30 AM7/25/19
to visone-users
Hey Felix,

I'm very sorry that it took me so long to reply; it slipped away. Sorry sorry.
Thank you very much for all your help and advice. Good to know that it is no problem of the saving format. And thanks for the hint to work with numeric id. I'll see that I can handle the duplicating:-)

Have a good remaining week