Tie opacity/saturation adjustment

Kieran Mepham

Jul 4, 2019, 10:43:57 AM7/4/19
to visone-users
Dear all,
I have used a backbone layout on a network with two modes. In the first mode, individuals are tied as usual. In the second mode, ties can be of two types. To do this layout I had to basically stuff everything into one adjacency matrix, with values on the ties corresponding to their type - I am aware that this carries an odd assumption that a tie to a second mode node is commensurate with, and equally weighted to, a tie between two individuals.

What I would like is to preserve the visual intensity of ties while adjusting the colours of the ties. Is there some simple way of doing this? My ad hoc solution would be to export the tie attributes, combine backbone and tie type in a new column, then reimporting and manually setting the colours for each of the 6 categories.

Thanks very much,
Kieran

Felix Schönenberger

Jul 4, 2019, 3:44:22 PM7/4/19
to visone...@googlegroups.com
So you have two categorical attributes, one with 3 (edge type) another with 2
categories (backbone).

> What I would like is to preserve the visual intensity of ties while
> adjusting the colours of the ties.
You can map different visual variables. E.g. color <- edge type,
thickness <- backbone.

> My ad hoc solution would be to export the tie attributes, combine backbone
> and tie type in a new column, then reimporting and manually setting the
> colours for each of the 6 categories.
Which would allow you to map different colors to the same edge type (with
different backbone). Not so sure if that is a good idea.

That said you can construct the tuples in the attribute manager:
1. `manipulate > merge to list`
2. `manipulate > convert list values > concatenate`

Then map the concatenation with e.g. color table.

Kieran Mepham

Jul 4, 2019, 5:16:06 PM7/4/19
to visone-users
Thanks very much Felix - I'll try both suggestions and see what happens.

All the best,
Kieran