Trying to download the page Talk:W.B.Yeats from Wikipedia.

36 views
Skip to first unread message

Tina Jaxén

unread,
Feb 29, 2024, 7:50:12 AMFeb 29
to visone-users
Hi,

I cannot download Talk:W.B.Yeats from Wikipedia by WikiEvents. Downloading history under net only shows 0. 
Can it be the dot . which causes it? I have tried in many ways, without dot and so on. 

 How will I proceed?

Best

Tina Jaxen

juergen lerner

unread,
Mar 1, 2024, 2:09:01 AMMar 1
to visone...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tina,

It works for me if I type the following title:
Talk:W._B._Yeats
Every character is important, including the colon, the two dots and
the two underscore characters. There are no spaces in the title. (The
"display title" in Wikipedia may show spaces, but the title in the URL
replaces them by underscores.) I retrieve 595 revisions of that page,
which seems to be the correct number; see:
https://xtools.wmcloud.org/articleinfo/en.wikipedia.org/Talk:W._B._Yeats

Tell me if you have further questions.

Best wishes
Juergen
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "visone-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to visone-users...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/visone-users/ca356a72-5433-4397-a266-33d842a93edcn%40googlegroups.com.

Tina Jaxén

unread,
Mar 1, 2024, 6:27:57 AMMar 1
to visone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you so much! It worked. 

I also have another problem with downloading  this page to WikiEvents from Wikipedia: Talk:Seán O'Casey

Thank you in advance!

Best 

Tina Jaxén

juergen lerner

unread,
Mar 1, 2024, 7:02:32 AMMar 1
to visone...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tina,

This was somehow more challenging, indeed. The problem seems to be the
special characters, mostly á. I could retrieve 50 revisions
(apparently the correct number) when I entered as page title the
string:
Talk%3ASe%C3%A1n_O%27Casey
I got this string from https://www.urlencoder.org/ when typing
Talk:Seán_O'Casey
in the first text field and then click on encode (the encoded string
is then in the second text field; the destination character set was
UTF-8). Apparently the replacement of the colon (:) by %3A is not
important (but doesn't do any harm) - but the replacement of the a
with an accent (á) seems to be important. It's obscure for me which
special characters are fine and which have to be replaced. You have to
experiment a bit with the help of the encoding webpage.

Best wishes
Juergen
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/visone-users/CALgwsRRZx6mvo2yuVEc1LzRdUWtjjKj3JKzsneH%3DMvoEQt2B7A%40mail.gmail.com.

Tina Jaxén

unread,
Mar 1, 2024, 7:16:52 AMMar 1
to visone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juergen,

Thanks again. It worked and I understand now that I can use the urlencoder.

Best

Tina Jaxén

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages