link width representation does not match weight values

Simona Z.

Mar 5, 2021, 6:27:14 AM3/5/21
to visone-users

Hello everyone,

I created a small network based on an imported .graphml file with weighted links with values ranging from -5 to 14. The network was created in the Discourse Network Analyzer.

Now, when I visualize the link width's size over the vizualisation tab, the strength of the lines is not proportional to the values of the link weights. An when I press the "visualize" button on the bottom of the visualisation tab again, the link witdhs change visibly but without making any more sense with respect to their weight values.

Does anyone have an idea, what could be the problem here?

Thank you!
Simona

Müller Julian

Mar 7, 2021, 9:07:42 AM3/7/21
to visone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simona,

width mapping needs positive values to work well, as the mapping simply computes the link width by scaling the attribute values by some factor and then clamping them to the minimum and maximum allowed width. That means all links with non-positive attribute values will necessarily be assigned the minimum link width.

I suggest you create another edge attribute that adds something like 5 to the weights and use this adjusted attribute for the link width mapping. I believe the result will then closer match your expectations.
You can create this adjusted attribute in the attribute manager: select "link" at the top, "manipulate" on the left, and then choose "manipulate values" and operation "add" in the list boxes, then enter the offset in the text field and click on apply at the bottom.

Best wishes,

Julian

Simona Z.

Mar 8, 2021, 6:06:44 AM3/8/21
to visone-users
Dear Julian, thank you very much for your informative answer! I will try that!