Hypercard?

Maarten Koopmans

Nov 27, 2011, 4:40:38 AM11/27/11
to visi...@googlegroups.com
David (as it's mostly you as father of this child),

...there is a rapidly growing commercial product called Livecode, which is the successor of Metacard.

A year ago they added deployment engines (or "packs") for mobile, and today I have "hypercard on iOS or Android" (as well as OS X, Windows, Linux). They do a lot of things wrong, and a lot of things right, for example a paid ($299) developer program that influences the producet direction and gives access to developer previews.

Also, their release schedule is rapid, adding features as (paying) users ask for them.

I'd take a close look at the end result (though I suspect Visi.pro's journey will be different).

You might also want to take a look at the now slowed down REBOL and especially their "View" dialect as example. Or red-lang.org.

I'm relearning Haskell as I type, and have great experience with REBOL (which is a brother of Lisp) and of course, Scala. Let me know if you need input. (if we had the money, I would gladly form a team in a venture backed company)

--Maarten

David Pollak

Nov 28, 2011, 11:59:34 AM11/28/11
to visi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Maarten Koopmans <maarten....@gmail.com> wrote:
David (as it's mostly you as father of this child),

...there is a rapidly growing commercial product called Livecode, which is the successor of Metacard.

A year ago they added deployment engines (or "packs") for mobile, and today I have "hypercard on iOS or Android" (as well as OS X, Windows, Linux). They do a lot of things wrong, and a lot of things right, for example a paid ($299) developer program that influences the producet direction and gives access to developer previews.

Also, their release schedule is rapid, adding features as (paying) users ask for them.

I'd take a close look at the end result (though I suspect Visi.pro's journey will be different).

It was hard for me to parse the Livecode site.  It's all marketing "benefits" without substance.  It also feels like "programming lite" rather than a substantive change in the way that people interact with computers.  VisiCalc made the fundamental change by making the programming language a human oriented language rather than sugar-coating machine instructions with syntax.

But I rant... ;-)

--
Visi.Pro, Cloud Computing for the Rest of Us http://visi.pro