What's the current status of Visage?

Martijn Vos

Jan 21, 2012, 5:21:43 AM1/21/12
to Visage Developers
I'm looking for a cleaner way to program for Android, and Visage looks
like one of the primary candidates, except that I can't find any
documentation on how to actually use it. I'm aware that it's not
finished yet, but are parts already sufficiently finished to use it
for actual Android development? I do see some documentation on the
language itself, but nothing on how to include it in the build.

Alain Béarez

Jan 24, 2012, 10:03:57 PM1/24/12
to visag...@googlegroups.com
Martijn,

When I started my own project for Android, I followed the hands-on lab presentation by Stephen and adapted some parts of it in order to be able to continue developing with Eclipse, using the ant tasks generated by the NetBeans 6.9 plugin. I don't remember any specifics and didn't take notes as I am not a blogger in mind. That last part is on my list of resolutions for 2012 though.

Later on, I also installed NetBeans7 in order to contribute to the project by developing the lacking wrappers in visage.android in order to make project run.
As far as you're concerned about "already sufficiently finished"... well, I am currently wrapping the SeekBar for my own needs. But there are many classes I did not use yet in my playground project.

Next week, I will reserve some time to try making a brand new clean project, taking notes for a wiki page.

Best regards,
Alain

Alain Béarez

Feb 17, 2012, 11:31:06 PM2/17/12
to visag...@googlegroups.com
Martijn,

Finally I got some partial introduction ready about how to make the Eclipse IDE with Android Development Tools run a Visage application.

I was trying to delay this announce to include also the VisageFX application with NetBeans but after two nights fighting... Still the same strange problem.

However, both platforms are now presented (though incommplete for VisageFX) in the GettingStarted wiki page:
http://code.google.com/p/visage/wiki/GettingStarted

I will try to upload the VirtualBox I prepared as an experiment for the step-by-step validation.

Best regards,
Alain