Moving to GitHub

Raj

Jul 6, 2012, 11:29:41 AM7/6/12
to Visage Developers
Hi all,

Lets have a discussion on moving to GitHub...

i am not telling GCode is bad but i feel so many people using GitHub
and it provides many features which we can use it for our project...

Lets see community view on this!

Eric Smith

Jul 7, 2012, 3:12:37 AM7/7/12
to visag...@googlegroups.com
I agree that the interface for GitHub is much slicker than GoogleCode and has great eye-candy (if they still had their github-fi project, I'd be running that instead of GitLab on my personal Git Repos),  but what explicit features are you looking at, and how would you recommend moving the full VCS history from Mercurial to Git?

Raj

Jul 7, 2012, 9:28:25 PM7/7/12
to Visage Developers
I really like GoogleCode but what i more like is the managing the
github repository where its not much availabe in GC

Project management through Organization
We can provide a managed access using GH Organization. segregated
users using team and members... GC provides owner and committers.

Git is faster and many do fork project. GC do have it but its not
famous to do so and not much collaboration did using GC.

Website support and Pages!
Wiki is there in GC but GH provides a accountname.github.com website
where we have full freedom to have our own website. currently visage-
lang focus on GC webpage we do can point to wiki but flexibility we
get GH is not available in GC. We can use the power static page
generators to create page and post in the GH

(if any think more any others like to add.....)

Arivu

Jul 12, 2012, 10:31:43 PM7/12/12
to visag...@googlegroups.com
i like github it's simple fast and easy to manage. So it will be easy to adapt to the new bie's. And it has lot of features like fork a project,github page, easy to manage and control. I vote for GitHub.