VMware Virtual Infrastructure Starter Kit vs Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2

Alessandro Perilli

Nov 15, 2005, 3:29:24 PM11/15/05
to virtualization.info Discussion Group
Frank Korpershoek just posted an interesting comment on my post about
the prices of just launched VMware Virtual Infrastructure Starter Kit:
http://www.virtualization.info/2005/11/vmware-offers-virtual-infrastructure.html

Frank, I feel your pain and it's evident Microsoft is playing hard now
with Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise at $199
(http://www.virtualization.info/2005/11/release-microsoft-virtual-server-2005.html).

But the product still needs Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition,
which costs $3,999, to have clustering feature and be able to fail-over
virtual machines.

And still VS2005R2 hasn't all things ESX Server+VirtualCenter have and
can't reach VMware performances...
(anyway this is going to partially change since MOM will soon likely to
have VirtualCenter+VMotion features)

I think ESX isn't at real risk for now but I'm very afraid for GSX
Server.
The 4.0 version (if VMware count to release it without other 3.x minor
updates) will need to bring on something very very useful or it could
be a large flop:
customers can (and are) wait tomorrow for announced ESX Server 3.0 on a
side and can have VS2005R2 today at $199 on the other side.

Every new day I feel VMware could drop GSX Server production and push
more on ESX Server (maybe with an appliance).

Anyway I guess ESX 3.0 will be much more cheap than now :)

Alessandro Perilli
http://www.virtualization.info

Frank Korpershoek

Nov 16, 2005, 10:55:21 AM11/16/05
to virtualization.info Discussion Group
Hi Allesandro,

>Frank, I feel your pain and it's evident Microsoft is playing hard now
>with Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise at $199

>But the product still needs Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition,

>which costs $3,999, to have clustering feature and be able to fail-over
>virtual machines.

Good point. But... If you need windows anyway, you are allowed for 4
running virtual server instances with your w2k3 server license....
Ok, maybe you won't get the the performance or the real power of
vmotion yet, but I bet Microsoft will be a real pain in the a* for
VMWare as they have proven on other technologies. Maybe not towmorrow,
but if I were VMWare, I would watch my back...

What VMWare could do (should have done already in fact) is create a
'Small Business' version from the VMTN esx version. Lots of smaller
shops could have a benefit out of that and get used to the VMWare
feeling. VMWare is going to lose that market if people start with
w2k3/vs2005. And once they grow and start using san's, they will not
switch to VMWare... mark my words on that one

>Anyway I guess ESX 3.0 will be much more cheap than now :)

I sure hope so...
btw, even the vmtn subsription is more expensive than vs2005 ;-)

regards -frank-

riskgeek...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2005, 1:29:49 PM11/17/05
to virtualization.info Discussion Group
I like this discussion on cost. Do you have experience with certified
VMware resellers? How flexible are they on pricing, especially for
large enterprise clients?

Alessandro Perilli

Nov 17, 2005, 3:52:51 PM11/17/05
to virtualization.info Discussion Group
Till August I covered the role of CEO in a italian company, Enterprise
VMware reseller.
Resellers are able to offer a little discount on pricing, depending on
conditions offered by VMware distributors in the country. Anyway for
very large enterprise customers often VMware tries to handle them
directly by large partner OEMs like IBM or HP (which is not how
Partners Channel should work...). In that case you can achieve a much
better discounted price.

Regards

Alessandro Perilli
http://www.virtualization.info