Solaris and Virtualization

1 view

riskgeek...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2006, 4:45:23 PM4/6/06
to virtualization.info Discussion Group
I have a client using containers for virtualisation of Solaris boxes.
They are also investigating the use of Zones.

Does any reader out there have a preference for various virtualisation
approaches for Solaris?

Regards,
Joseph Greer

dev...@web.de

Apr 6, 2006, 6:35:09 PM4/6/06
to virtualiz...@googlegroups.com
Hello !

> Does any reader out there have a preference for various virtualisation
> approaches for Solaris?

if you are speaking of solaris/sparc - are there any real virtualization approaches besides Containers/Zones ?
(BTW: Isn`t Containers the successor of Zones? What is the real difference?)

Anyway - from what I know the Solaris Containers/Zones approach is just some sort of "BSD Jails on steroids" - that's not the level of virtualization you get from VMWare or XEN - and it _has_ limitations/issues. You typically have _one_ instance of a kernel. (please someone correct me if i´m wrong)

regards
roland k.
systems engineer