vglrun glxinfo works but vglrun glxgears not

Jiawei Fu

Nov 18, 2021, 1:05:32 PM11/18/21
to VirtualGL User Discussion/Support
Hi all,

I am new to VirtualGL so I apologize if this is a duplicate question. I am trying to use VirtualGL and TurboVNC to run some graphical applications on the server. Both the server and my local machine are running Ubuntu 20.04.

On my local machine, both glxinfo and glxgears work.
On the remote server, I can run xclock but both glxinfo and glxgears crash.

The error msg for glxinfo is
name of display: localhost:10.0
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  55
  Current serial number in output stream:  56

The error msg for glxgears is
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  31
  Current serial number in output stream:  32

When I run vglrun glxinfo, it works and shows no error. But when I run vglrun glxgears, it shows an error msg
[VGL] Shared memory segment ID for vglconfig: 327692
[VGL] VirtualGL v2.6.90 64-bit (Build 20210616)
[VGL] Opening connection to 3D X server :0
[VGL] Using 1 compression threads on 16 CPU cores
[VGL] Using pixel buffer objects for readback (BGR --> BGR)
[VGL] ERROR: in readPixels--
[VGL]    402: Could not map pixel buffer object

However, when I use VirtualGL together with TurboVNC, I can actually run glxinfo and glxgears directly in the graphical window. The only problem is that it is not using GPU for rendering but only CPU.

I do not know what is wrong with this. As I see in many instructions, glxgears usually just works if glxinfo does.

Would you please help me with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best,
Jiawei

DRC

Nov 30, 2021, 1:03:36 PM11/30/21
to virtual...@googlegroups.com

Have you configured the server as instructed in the VirtualGL User's Guide?  (https://rawcdn.githack.com/VirtualGL/virtualgl/3.0/doc/index.html#hd006)

What type of GPU is running in the server?

Which driver are you using with the GPU?