About TurboVNC and VirtualGL Setup.

Alper AYKUT

Apr 4, 2024, 10:04:04 AMApr 4
to VirtualGL User Discussion/Support
I have an Nvidia Tesla V100 card on my linux server with Redhat 8.6. I want the users to use the 3d features of the video card when connected with turbovnc. How can I do this and can you share the installation steps?

thankyou.

DRC

Apr 4, 2024, 10:17:09 AMApr 4
to virtual...@googlegroups.com
The best reference is the VirtualGL User’s Guide and the TurboVNC User’s Guide. The basic strategy is:

- Install TurboVNC first, using the TurboVNC User’s Guide instructions, and verify that you can launch and connect to a TurboVNC session. (It won’t have GPU acceleration yet.)

- Install VirtualGL, using the VirtualGL User’s Guide instructions, and verify that you can get GPU acceleration in a TurboVNC session when you execute ‘vglrun /opt/VirtualGL/bin/glxspheres64’. (The OpenGL renderer that GLXspheres reports should indicate that it using the nVidia GPU.) Note that this assumes that the nVidia drivers have already been installed.

- (Optionally) Enable VirtualGL by default for all TurboVNC sessions on the machine, by setting ‘$useVGL = 1;’ in /etc/turbovncserver.conf. If you don’t do that, users will still be able to use VirtualGL, but they will have to explicitly type ‘vglrun {application}’ to launch {application} with OpenGL GPU acceleration.

The User’s Guide instructions involve installing VGL and TurboVNC from discrete packages, but we also have YUM repositories. See VirtualGL.org and TurboVNC.org for YUM repository info.

Note that, when using nVidia’s drivers, Vulkan applications will be GPU-accelerated automatically when running in a TurboVNC session. VirtualGL is only needed for OpenGL applications.

Let me know if you run into specific problems.

On Apr 4, 2024, at 9:04 AM, Alper AYKUT <alpera...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have an Nvidia Tesla V100 card on my linux server with Redhat 8.6. I want the users to use the 3d features of the video card when connected with turbovnc. How can I do this and can you share the installation steps?

thankyou.

Alper AYKUT

Apr 16, 2024, 11:09:18 AMApr 16
to virtual...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I installed vglrun and turbovnc, but I can't get past the error below, what could be the cause of this error?

thankyou for support.

vglrun /opt/VirtualGL/bin/glxspheres64
Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
No protocol specified
[VGL] ERROR: Could not open display :0.

I also get the following error when I run this command by connecting with vnc and ssh.

xauth merge /etc/opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key
xdpyinfo -display :0
/opt/VirtualGL/bin/glxinfo -display :0
No protocol specified
Error: unable to open display :0

DRC

Apr 16, 2024, 11:13:32 AMApr 16
to virtual...@googlegroups.com
That means that either the 3D X server isn’t running or you don’t have permission to access it. Did you run vglserver_config, as instructed? If you chose to restrict 3D X server access to the vglusers group, did you add your account to that group and log out/log back in to pick up the new group permissions? Did the 3D X server start successfully? (It could fail to start if, for instance, the GPU drivers are not properly installed.)

Tevfik Kaplanoğlu

Apr 16, 2024, 11:14:09 AMApr 16
to virtual...@googlegroups.com
Could you verify you applied same procedure described at the web page regarding the drivers and configured successfully via "vglconfig" ? Because there is additional info for NVIDIA cards.

DRC

Apr 16, 2024, 7:30:35 PMApr 16
to virtual...@googlegroups.com
Please let me handle support requests myself. It confuses the issue when multiple people try to respond to the submitter. The additional info you are describing is not likely relevant to this issue.