Install without virtualenv

Ghyslain Leclerc

Oct 5, 2015, 1:36:04 PM10/5/15
to virtualenvwrapper
Hello,

The question might seem silly, but with the venv module and since it is possible to make virtualenvwrapper use it with the appropriate environment variable, is it possible to install virtualenvwrapper without virtualenv ?

I would like to use the "stock" virtual environments if possible with python 3.5.

Anyhow, thanks to anyone with some thoughts on that.

Ghyslain

Doug Hellmann

Oct 5, 2015, 1:40:43 PM10/5/15
to virtuale...@googlegroups.com
Great question!

The last time I tried setting VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV to venv some of the tests failed because the environments created look a little different. I would be happy to have someone contribute patches to make that work, though, and then we could make virtualenv a dependency only for python 2.

Doug

Ghyslain Leclerc

Oct 5, 2015, 2:26:02 PM10/5/15
to virtualenvwrapper
( Sorry, not sure if top posting or bottom posting is best. )

Thanks for the rapid feedback.

I have actually just "forked" the repo in BitBucket.  Not sure I'll have time to do anything significant, but I will try.  I'll get back to you with patches or merge request or whatever if my work amounts to anything useful.

Again, thanks,
Ghyslain

Doug Hellmann

Oct 5, 2015, 3:18:11 PM10/5/15
On Oct 5, 2015, at 2:26 PM, Ghyslain Leclerc <ghle...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 1:40:43 PM UTC-4, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Ghyslain Leclerc <ghle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> The question might seem silly, but with the venv module and since it is possible to make virtualenvwrapper use it with the appropriate environment variable, is it possible to install virtualenvwrapper without virtualenv ?
>
> I would like to use the "stock" virtual environments if possible with python 3.5.
>
> Anyhow, thanks to anyone with some thoughts on that.
>
> Ghyslain

Great question!

The last time I tried setting VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV to venv some of the tests failed because the environments created look a little different. I would be happy to have someone contribute patches to make that work, though, and then we could make virtualenv a dependency only for python 2.

Doug

( Sorry, not sure if top posting or bottom posting is best. )

I’m not sure it matters that much for this list.

Thanks for the rapid feedback.

I have actually just "forked" the repo in BitBucket.  Not sure I'll have time to do anything significant, but I will try.  I'll get back to you with patches or merge request or whatever if my work amounts to anything useful.

That sounds good, thanks.

Doug

Ghyslain Leclerc

Oct 5, 2015, 11:01:21 PM10/5/15
to virtualenvwrapper
Is there some documentation on how to setup the development environment to run the tests.  I have never worked with tox.  I have installed it and fiddled around with the settings.  Figured out how to get my python 3.5 and only my python 3.5 to run, but not everything works.  For instance, I can't seem to make the tests use pyvenv instead of virtualenv.

Anyhow, still looking into it in my spare time.

Ghyslain