virtualenvwrapper & python 3.4

Eli Spizzichino

Apr 5, 2016, 10:51:58 AM4/5/16
to virtualenvwrapper
Greetings,
during the years I've been using this nifty script painlessly in my work flow in python 2.x.
Now I'm switching to the new python 3.x and pyvenv and wondering what is the best setup for making it work with virtualenvwrapper.
in my profile
export VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_PYTHON='/usr/bin/python3.4'
I did install system-wide pip3 and with it: pip3 install virtualenvwrapper because otherwise when sourcing:
/usr/bin/python3.4: Error while finding spec for 'virtualenvwrapper.hook_loader' (<class 'ImportError'>: No module named 'virtualenvwrapper')
virtualenvwrapper.sh: There was a problem running the initialization hooks.

anyway now everything is working correctly but was wondering if I should set
export VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV="/usr/bin/pyvenv-3.4"
it doesn't seems to make a difference (it works in both cases) or should I use VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_VIRTUALENV_CLONE

Hope you don't mind such basic questions

Doug Hellmann

Apr 13, 2016, 12:04:22 PM4/13/16
to virtuale...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Eli,

At one point I tried making virtualenvwrapper work with pyvenv and it didn’t work, so I’m glad to hear it’s working for you. That said, it’s really intend to work with the old virtualenv, which uses the activate/deactivate shell scripts and I don’t know if some of the hook features of virtualenvwrapper work well without those.

Doug