Fwd: "Museum Piece -- The Race is on to Preserve the Cultural History of Games"

Henrik Bennetsen

Mar 11, 2008, 5:48:39 PM3/11/08
to Virtual Worlds History Group
Hi all,

many people are thinking about these matters. Check the article below.

Henrik

Mar 11, 2008, 7:00:57 PM3/11/08
to Virtual Worlds History
Could I suggest starting a collaborative Google spreadsheet to collect
links on this topic? (The pages in Google Groups are sometimes not
easy to edit after they've been posted.) Whomever starts the doc
could invite the other group members to participate. Eventually, the
info could be extracted into a database for easy look-ups when it gets
too large to simply scan, which could happen quickly as hot as this
topic is.

Another group I belong to (Qwaq-SL Liaison) uses such a spreadsheet
for our private roster, and it works out quite well even with the
group growing as fast as it is. I simply add new members' info to the
page and invite them to it at the same time I invite them to the
Google Group, and keep a text doc with boilerplate welcome messages to
all the websites we use for our group on my desktop.

Cheers,
Kat

On Mar 11, 4:48 pm, "Henrik Bennetsen" <bennet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> many people are thinking about these matters. Check the article below.
>
> Henrik

Matt Bittanti

Mar 11, 2008, 7:15:34 PM3/11/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
This is a brilliant idea

matteo
--
Matteo Bittanti

-------------------------------
www.mattscape.com
www.videoludica.com
-------------------------------

"stay hungry, stay foolish"

Henry Lowood

Mar 12, 2008, 12:03:40 PM3/12/08
to Virtual Worlds History
Hi Kat,

I'll try to set this up today, but wanted to add -- I can set up a permanent page as part of the IGDA Preservation SIG wiki.  The links can go there with some description, or maybe just a selection of the links.

Henry

Henry Lowood

Mar 12, 2008, 12:29:03 PM3/12/08
to Virtual Worlds History
Kat,

I just set up a group with virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com as the collaborator.  I've never done that before (group as collaborator), so let's see if it works.  If not, I'll need to figure out how to get a clean list of members.  Let me know if you get the invitation and can edit the spreadsheet.

Henry

Bruce Damer

Mar 12, 2008, 12:39:11 PM3/12/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
A key is to get everyone who was on the cc-list to be on the google group, has that been done yet? The group founder/moderator should do this.

Here is a list of folks who I would assume would want to be on automatically...
patrik....@humlab.umu.se
ma...@webhistory.org
benn...@gmail.com
low...@stanford.edu
celia....@lcc.gatech.edu
alun...@aol.com

Here is a list of folks who should be asked (not sure if they would want all the traffic on this topic or I dont know them personally):
jct...@erols.com
dg...@internethistoryarchive.org
l...@shustek.com
j...@commerce.net
k...@kevcom.com
jfg...@gmail.com

Could someone (Henry?) do this?

bruce

DigitalSpace
343 Soquel Avenue, # 70
Santa Cruz CA 95062-2305 USA

http://www.digitalspace.com

Henrik Bennetsen

Mar 12, 2008, 12:41:19 PM3/12/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

you can see our members here and it seems we are doing well with getting people to join:
http://groups.google.com/group/virtual-worlds-history/members

Henrik
benn...@gmail.com

Henrik Bennetsen

Mar 12, 2008, 1:18:11 PM3/12/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Great idea indeed Kat!

Since we are all making this stuff up as we go I thought I would try and setup a page in our group:
http://groups.google.com/group/virtual-worlds-history/web/articles
Everybody can read this and group members can edit.

You can find this under the pages in our group (and setup new pages there):
http://groups.google.com/group/virtual-worlds-history/web

Henrik

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Kat Lemieux <kat.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
benn...@gmail.com

Kat Lemieux

Mar 12, 2008, 7:32:11 PM3/12/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
The problem with the members lists in Google groups is that email addresses are shielded, and unless the member has filled out a profile it's difficult to see who they are.

I don't think the shortcut of inviting the group to collaborate on a document works; at least, I didn't get a notice about it.

Whomever is the group manager/owner will have to generate the list of members' emails to invite to the list.  Henrik, I assume that's you?

Cheers,
Kat

Kat Lemieux

Mar 12, 2008, 7:37:31 PM3/12/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
That's a good concept in theory, Henrik, but I have historically been unable to edit pre-existing pages in Google sites, even some I've created myself. That's why I suggested using Google Docs instead.  Also, by having the entries in a spreadsheet/table instead of free text format, they'd be easier to import into a database at some future date.

Google really needs to integrate their tools into the Groups sites.

Cheers,
Kat

Kat Lemieux

Mar 12, 2008, 7:46:14 PM3/12/08
to Virtual Worlds History
Oh, wait, I DID get an invitation to the document, so unless you sent
that to me individually, sending it to the group did work. Good news,
since that will save the administrator some effort!

Sorry for not seeing that earlier. It was buried in my inbox.

Kat

On Mar 12, 6:32 pm, "Kat Lemieux" <kat.lemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think the shortcut of inviting the group to collaborate on a
> document works; at least, I didn't get a notice about it.

Henry Lowood

Mar 12, 2008, 9:50:39 PM3/12/08
to Virtual Worlds History
Hi Kat,

Well, I guess we all learned that group addresses work for this.  Henrik told me that he got an invitation, too.  It's a good thing, too, because I cannot find any way to extract a neat list of individual e-mail addresses from the group site.   Live and learn.

Henry

Henry Lowood

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
     Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library

557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
low...@stanford.edu; 650-723-4602

Kat Lemieux

Mar 12, 2008, 10:59:48 PM3/12/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Henry,

The group owner and any designated managers can generate a list of email addresses from the group's member list, but not plain old members. So it is indeed a good thing that the group invitation works.  I wonder how the spreadsheet lets everyone on the list collaborate without their emails being specifically added, though. At the moment, only 3 individuals and the group address are shown as collaborators, so maybe people have to log into it from the invitation email before their address is listed as collaborators.

Cheers,
Kat

Henrik Bennetsen

Mar 13, 2008, 9:50:57 AM3/13/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
I see the restrictions. Might be useful to just see how much we gather in the first place. Our list is fully open for anyone to browse and it would be nice if our docs were as well.

Henrik

Henrik Bennetsen

Mar 13, 2008, 9:58:38 AM3/13/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Kat,

I just made you a manager along with Bruce. I think a nice flat structure would be good here so anyone else wants to be a manager please write me directly at benn...@gmail.com

Henrik

Henry Lowood

Mar 13, 2008, 12:18:03 PM3/13/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Kat,

Interesting, that must be it.  The whole process is not very well documented by Google, I must say.

Henry

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
 Film & Media Collections

HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall

Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004

Kat Lemieux

Mar 13, 2008, 12:41:19 PM3/13/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
It is possible to let the world view Google Docs, but probably not a wonderful idea to let the whole world edit them in most cases. That could be done, too, though, if you don't mind monitoring them pretty regularly for spam.

Cheers,
Kat