1986 Habitat promo video @ UCI workshop

Bruce Damer

May 17, 2008, 4:06:00 PM5/17/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Dear Virtual Worlds History team,

I am here with several of you history team members at this weekend's UC Irvine workshop on work/play sponsored by the NSF. Chip Morningstar and Randy Farmer and here and showed and then provided this excellent LucasFilm produced promo video of Habitat. It is now online for viewing at:
http://www.vwtimeline.org/artifacts/video/habitat-caribe-80s/index.html
(hosted by Google video, click on the link to get a full screen view).

This is a wonderful "bookmark" in the history of the VW medium and puts a "stake in the ground" as far as the key innovations of Habitat.

Enjoy!

PS I recorded the history-oriented talks and discussion in MP3 format for the archives.

Bruce

DigitalSpace
343 Soquel Avenue, # 70
Santa Cruz CA 95062-2305 USA

http://www.digitalspace.com

Henrik Bennetsen

May 19, 2008, 12:39:42 PM5/19/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Very cool Bruce, thank you for sharing!
--
Henrik Bennetsen
Research Director

Wallenberg Hall, 450 Serra Mall
Building 160, Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2055, USA

benn...@gmail.com
Cell: +1 415.418.4042
Fax: +1 650.725.0192

Henry Lowood

May 19, 2008, 6:07:06 PM5/19/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

If you think it is possible to get this in the Virtual World Videos collection, we'll be happy to do it.  Who could give permission for that?

As for the material you recorded, we very much look forward to adding that to the archival collection.

Best,

Henry

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
 Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004
650-723-4602; low...@stanford.edu; http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood

Bruce Damer

May 20, 2008, 12:00:42 AM5/20/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed, Chip and Randy were assuring an A-OK on permissions on this. I will provide the higher res version (MP4) that I converted from Chip's raw digitization.

And yes, i will be packaging up this and much other audio for the archival collection too. A lot could be accomplished over the summer on this. You will be getting a big load of stuff (all of it if we have the time and hands) from the "Damer archive"!

bruce

Margaret D. Corbit

May 20, 2008, 10:34:44 AM5/20/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com

Henry, I am going to be doing some archival videos of our worlds this summer (in addition to what I gave Bruce already and what is on our web site). Would you want copies?

Margaret

Margaret Corbit

Director, SciCentr

Cornell University Outreach

533 Rhodes Hall

Ithaca, NY 14853-3801

PH: 607.254.8716

FAX: 607.255.2900

md...@cornell.edu

HTTP://www.scicentr.org

Henry Lowood

May 20, 2008, 3:28:19 PM5/20/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret,

It would be great to get your video captures for the virtual world archives collection.  We will just need your permission to add to the archive along with the video files.   I should mention that besides adding to the historical collection, there are some benefits to you -- the files will be there permanently, available for download and streaming, and now with the new player you can embed the stream on your own website.

So, yes, we would love to get the copies.  Thanks for offering!

Best,

Henry

Bruce Damer

Jul 3, 2008, 1:37:18 PM7/3/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com, ba...@archive.org, alun...@aol.com
Dear Virtual Worlds History group! Before we all turn into holiday
pumpkins (red, white and blue ones for some?) I thought I would send
you a couple of photos of me delivering 125GB and 124 virtual worlds
historical movies to the Internet Archive up in San Francisco. Baird
Whelan, of the Archive, is going to upload them as soon as I get him
a basic metadata file (today Baird, I promise!). There movies in here
from the earliest restored Maze War, to Habitat, to the mid 90s Earth
to Avatars conferences, VRML SIGs, SIGGRAPH, promotional vids, and
even some from the 2000s (Cory Ondrejka demo of the first pre-alpha
of Second Life).

These should all be available for viewing in the next few weeks. It
would be wonderful if some of you would also help us do meta-tagging
(mainly helping write descriptions in re what/when/where/who on these pieces!).

If you have any videos you would like included in the next batch,
which will be delivered probably in August, please let me know and
you can send material here for digitization.

Thanks all and happy 4th!

Oh and thanks Baird and Alexis and the Internet Archive (Brewster!)
and Stanford (Henrik and Henry) for making this possible! And great
thanks to Al Lundell for being there with a camera from 1996 onwards
and then digitizing these from tapes two summers ago!

bruce

DSC01503.JPG
DSC01500.JPG

Margaret D. Corbit

Jul 3, 2008, 4:12:53 PM7/3/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com

There is something so delightfully classic about the Archive being at the
Presidio.... I was surprised by the pix and had to figure out where you
were.

Henry Lowood

Jul 3, 2008, 5:50:36 PM7/3/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com, ba...@archive.org, alun...@aol.com
Bruce,

Sneakerware lives! Thanks so much, Bruce.

Best,

Henry
Bruce Damer
http://www.damer.com