Archiving Virtual Worlds -- new additions, including Bruce's collection

low...@stanford.edu

Sep 4, 2008, 5:51:03 PM9/4/08
to Virtual Worlds History, low...@stanford.edu
Check out the blog announcement here:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/drupal/?q=node/305
Henry

Bruce Damer

Sep 5, 2008, 1:14:49 AM9/5/08
to virtual-wor...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed, Thanks to Henry and Henrik's LoC initiative, Brewster and the Internet Archive, many others, and two years of work by Al Lundell and myself digitizing and categorizing, you will find 100+ videos that will be very familiar to a lot of you here on this group. Simply go to www.archive.org and search on "Bruce Damer" or try this direct link at:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22Bruce%20Damer%22
to find these new additions.

We may come up with a better way of categorizing these in the future (rather than just by my name). Please note that this is part of a much larger effort in support of the Library of Congress supported project with Stanford and others. Its all contained under the moniker Archiving Virtual Worlds and is available at:
http://www.archive.org/details/virtual_worlds

This "Damer Archive" is really "your archive" as many of you have contributed work or are personally featured here, such as in rare video of sessions back at at Earth to Avatars '96 and 97-98-99-00-01-etc. I have another 35 or so pieces to edit with Al some time this fall which will really fill this out further. By the way, our video of the original 1974 Maze War (the first first person shooter) running on the restored Imlac PDS-1 is also there, courtesy of the related Digibarn Computer Museum. Also catch the 1962 Spacewar! on the PDP-1 (arguably the first shared digital, graphical space) courtesy of the Computer History Museum. If you want something included in this effort, please let me know and send it on over to me and Al electronically or on old media for us to digitize.

And team, I would really appreciate your help in filling in the metadata for some of these entries given that I put only basic info there. I am going to get set up with account/edit features and get back to you on how we might coordinate that.

Enjoy your viewing!!!

Bruce

Bruce Damer

Current Projects and Roles at: